How about an Audere Classic 4-band for Yamaha 765A?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by michaelandrew, Nov 1, 2012.

1. michaelandrew

michaelandrew The bass player is always right. Supporting Member

I love my Yamy 765A - all except the pots, knobs, a pre-amp.

Set-screw knobs on spit shaft pots make no sense, IMO, and the electronics are noisy unless pan, bass and treble are all near center.

I'm seriously looking at replacing the pre with an Audere Classic 4-band. Four knobs - volume, balance, high-mid/treble (split), and low-mid/bass (split) - should fit with no holes to drill. I even like the look of the Audere gold knobs.

Does anyone have any experience with this combination or something close? Other recommendations? I (try to) play blues/rock and a little jazz - nearly aways fingers, maybe a little OD.

Thanks much.
  2. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Audere adds no "color" to the original bass tone. It's a pretty much"Flat" preamp.
    EQ is beautifully voiced for any bass, in my experience.
  3. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist

I've got the 4 band Audere Z-mode preamp. The classic is basically this in mid Z

It's a tremendous preamp. The 4 band eq is excellent, especially that low mid knob
  4. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

audere 4 band is sweet, but I felt its signal was weak, as I had to use more gain on my amp.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Really? Did you do a 18v set up? I put one in my thumb and it's really hot. I can only run my volume up 1/2 way if I want to boost anything or its too much for my setup.
  7. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I had the same experience. I tried it in a Roscoe 5 string. Nice clean tone, but a weak signal (if that matters). After a while I decided that I don't want that many controls on the bass anyway; I'd rather use my amp's EQ for tone shaping and just have minimal onboard tone controls for "emergency" mid-song adjustments. I'm now using a Bartolini 2-band which I like a lot.
    YMMV
  8. Tom Cat

Tom Cat

I tried the Audere in my J Bass, flat, sterile but flexible, the Z mode wasn't for me. Felt I lost more than I gained and ultimately went back to the original passive controls.
    I'm not against preamps, they work well in some basses just not this one.
    It's one of those things you have to try for your self, there's lots of inexpensive pre's out there used to try.
  9. BassGyver

BassGyver

If i remember well, the pickups of the RBX765A are active. The Audere preamp will only work with passive pickups.
  10. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

The classic works with active pups. You have to order a couple pieces along with it. The j plates won't work with active pups.
  11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I have the 4 band classic in a Guild Pilot Fretless 5. I like it a lot! As far as having low output... Duh! That is what the gain control on the amp is for !
  12. michaelandrew

Thanks for all the replies so far - please keep the discussion going, even if it's not strictly about the 765A or the Audere.

Any thoughts on shielding the pre-amp cavity? It looks like Yamaha used some kind of aluminum spray paint. Is it worth adding a layer of copper foil?

BTW - the pickups in the 765A are passive - a pair of old-school humbuckers - at least that's what it shows on the schematic that the nice folks at Yamaha sent me. The only part that's active is a dual op-amp (NJM4558D for all you techie's - another golden oldie). For active pups, a DC blocking capacitor is need for each - has to be a large enough value not to take out any of those low frequencies we know and love.
  13. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I *really* like the sound of the Audere classic four band in my fretless Martin Keith bass...but I do not like that there is no center detent for the blend. The center frequencies of all the bands are fantastic, and there's enough flexibity to shape the sound as much as I'd want to. But that blend needs a detent!
  14. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

mine had a detent that I remember....
  15. smperry

Media:
    I need to get it resolved, either with David Meadows or Martin Keith...otherwise this bass and preamp are pretty perfect for me.
  16. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Mine has no detent. If I remember correctly the website mentioned this somewhere. Wish it did have one, but overall I don't need it. Just turn till it sounds good.
  17. smperry

Media:
    Last I heard was the stacked (three knob) version didn't have a detent due to no availability of an appropriate stacked pot. I'd rather have vol/vol stacked if that's the case. I can find center because the little bit of single coil hum disappears, but that's not ideal on a gig.
  18. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Yup I'm running the 3 knob. I always would prefer a vol/vol setup.
  19. smperry

Media:
    So I guess this isn't relevant to the OP. But, if I get mine resolved, I'll start a new thread. Honestly, I would've done something a while ago, but I love the bass so much I don't want to be without it for a week.
  20. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Disclosures:
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    Hey Guys,

AFAIK this is still the current situation - the detented vol/blend stack is not available - the pot just doesn't exist.
    However, I think stacked vol/vol is an option.

I'll contact Audere and repost their reply.

Cheers,
    Martin
  21. michaelandrew

I'm still thinking four knobs - volume, balance, high-mid/treble (split), and low-mid/bass (split) - according the the Audere web site, the single balance control has a center detent. I think I like the idea of having the mid controls on top.

It sure can't be any worse than the stock Yamaha - that balance control has to be left in the center.