How am I struggling to sell a Berg NV610 in the UK?!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dan Paveley, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Dan Paveley

Dan Paveley Supporting Member

Edit: Thanks for your help guys. In the end it actually sold through TB! I guess I did just need more patience...

:help::help::help:

I've had ONE person show interest in my ad since I uploaded it 6 weeks ago and I'm getting frustrated. Is it usual for sales to take this long in the UK? I'm convinced I would have shifted this in no time if I lived in the States.

My ad was rightly - though unfortunately - recategorised into the Europe & International section of the classifieds which I see averages between 0 and 3 people viewing at a time. I didn't even realise that section existed! Any other UK peeps found stuff this hard to sell?

Here's the ad. Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f182/%2A%2Abergantino-nv610-%A3750-uk-only%2A%2A-1015508/

(Note: If the admins feel this is a cheeky second advert then please delete thread at your discretion. It's really more of a rant and a plea!)
  2. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Hello from across the pond!

I own an NV610 and IMO it is the best sounding cab on the planet! When I play my Ampeg SVT-II nonpro through it, it sounds like pure heaven.

The three months leading up to Christmas can be a tough time to sell gear since many folks are planning to use their discretionary funds for other things.

Good luck with the sale!
  3. throughmylens87

throughmylens87

I know eBay doesn't get a lot of love on here but I have had good success selling bass gear there that wouldn't move on TB. I'm not in the UK though so it might be different...
  4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Very true. That and it's definitely a buyers market right now, at least state-side. That berg seems a very fair price in normal market conditions.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

It's not the best time to sell gear pretty much everywhere, especially big/heavy gear. It took me months to get one bid in order to sell my American Ampeg 810e that was in near perfect condition and in a nice road case. If i had a vehicle to move it i would have just kept it. I ended up selling it for what i paid for the roadcase so i basically gave the cab away for free.

That experienced changed my views on gear a lot. I got a nice 410 cab new i can fit in my car that ill probably hold on to for a long time. But when it comes to basses I'm not even considering buying new unless its a custom. To give an example if a mim fender costs $700 new and people can't sell them used for much more than $300 there's no way in hell id buy a new one over a used one.
  7. chienmort

chienmort

Rule of thumb is 2nd hand is half retail price unless it is rare or vintage. So a MIM $700 should be $350 second hand.

You should never buy based on resale value.

Re the Bergantino Cab, Berg, are not the well known make on the UK that they are in the US. Try selling on Basschat, the UK bassist firum.
  8. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah, money's tight everywhere - great if you're buying, not so much if you're selling... Good luck with your sale, OP - those are great cabs...

- georgestrings
  9. Dan Paveley

Cheers for the tips, folks. Really appreciate it. I'd actually never known the meaning of the term "buyers' market" until looking it up now so thanks for the heads up. Bad times.

Yeah, it's an amazing cab and I'll be sad to see it go (if I can get rid of it!) but I'm convinced that 2x112 cabs would suit my requirements better. Could be worse, I mean I'm only "stuck" with an amazing bit of gear after all.

Nephil, really sorry to hear about your fridge, man. I'm half expecting to learn the same lesson with this cab. Won't be buying new again if I can avoid it. Hope you hold onto your 4x10 for a long long time.
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Pricey items don't move well. Sign of the times.
    GLWTS
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

People know what they like and they like what they know. Berg is a harder sell in the UK when most are using something else.

Fortunately, the Christmas season is around the corner and it is usually a better time to sell.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Bergs are extremely well known here in TalkBassLand, but I run into many bassists in the clubs who squint at the badge and go "Berga-what?" I do my part to promote, but the bottom line is that the average player is more likely to purchase a less expensive, better-known brand (GC/MF fare) than a boutique.
  13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Times are tight. I'm not spending like I used to.

I bet many aren't.
  14. Dan Paveley

THANK YOU! No guaranties yet but at least there are people there looking for this cab. Fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone for your help.
  15. anderbass

anderbass

You could try posting some "Want To Trade/Swap" ads...
  16. 77PBass

77PBass Supporting Member

I try and stick to that rule of thumb and usually lose out on stuff I want. I recently scored a used AE112 shipped with cover for 28% off new. They don't come up often and I wanted a second to go with the one I purchased new.

750 GBP is $1205 USD...seems a little high for a used 610. Just my 2 pence
  17. Dan Paveley

It's marked down to £700 in the actual thread. The only place I can find to get these new in the UK is from this German website: http://www.station-music.de/bass/bergantino.html which lists them as €1399 (£1197).

£700 is 42% less than that price. I paid £1100 for mine and it's the most recent model of the NV610 which is isn't being manufactured any more, making this a rare boutique item. That's my logic with the pricing anyway!

If I continue to struggle with the sale then I'll sooner pull it off the market than drop the price lower tbh. It's amazing and the only reason I'm shifting it is to get something more convenient to move. I'm starting to get some attention for it now though so happy days :)