1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How and when do you know things aren't working out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dubista, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Dubista

Dubista

I know that GAS is a very common thing on these boards and those of us lucky enough to be able to buy the basses we want, (with approval from wives/partners/parents/girlfriends) often do.

It's a great feeling to get your hands on a New to you piece of gear. But how often do some of you just realise that, down the track, that a piece of gear just isn't for you? Anybody got any stories?

I bought a SR a few months ago after even more months of GASing and saving up. However, more and more, I feel like selling it up for a J or getting another P.

2. maxrathburn

maxrathburn

I'm going through literally the EXACT same thing as you. Same bass...I decided to give it another chance before I sell mine off for a ric or a P.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have about a dozen basses and there are some I seldom touch. That's a pretty good indication they could go.

4. bassnyc1

bassnyc1

In the late '90's, I wanted a 5 string Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray. I think it was almost 5 years gassing for one. In the middle of 2001, after working a second and sometimes a third job, I had saved enough cash and walked into a store and bought the one I had my eyes on for quite a while. It had a maple fretboard and black finish with a white pickguard. Within a year, I was missing a jazz bass and I realized that it just wasn't for me so I flipped it. I still maintain that EBMM are the best production basses out there in terms of quality and workmanship but the EBMM sound and feel wasn't my sound and feel.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. c_maj

c_maj

What a coincidence. Another SR owner here.

Just posted this last night:

Not considering selling my SR, but a little disappointed due to my sentimental attachment to it and the $$ invested to get it just right for me.

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

- - When you have to ask this question.

To ease the departure, I pack it up and put it away. If I don't miss it, I know it is time for it to go.

8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I honestly do not go through it because I always play what I am interested in before I buy it. I only deviated from this once about 2 years ago when I bought a Carvin LB75 for $250. I figured that I could sell it for more if I didn't like it. I kept it for one week and hated it. I sold it for $750. My feeling is that if I don't like it within the first 30 seconds, I won't buy it.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I felt this way about the B7K had the B3K and loved it I figured it had to be better to me it wasn't it took some time to sell it because I felt I was the only person on TB who didn't "adore" this thing but it had to go.

10. Dubista

Dubista

I hear ya. I've strung mine up with TI flats to mix it up and I'm taking it to a Festival gig tomorrow... But I'll be bringing my trusty P along... Just in case. ;)

11. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

This is clinically called the first stage of GAS. Gotta break up and let go. Like the song says...breaking up is hard to do.

12. okipraise

okipraise

Ok this is my first TB post. Been through this a lot over the past year. Try asking "what will this new gear do for me?" Sometimes I can get GAS relief from learning how to do something new with what I have so when I finally purchase new gear I can really use it and not just admire it.

13. spufman

spufman

I really wanted to love my El Toro, but in the end the neck shape just didn't feel comfortable for me. Always a good idea to buy used so you can sell/trade down the road. That Toro got me a Zon Sonus which really is just what I was looking for as an alternative to by beloved EBMM Sterling. Now they share top status, though the Sterling still feels most like home.

14. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd

i had this kind of experience with a stingray. mine was a 4-string with one bridge pick-up. i just did not like the bridge pick up sound. the stingray was a fine instrument and it was the easiest-to-play instrument i've ever owned, but i ended up trading it off for a guitar.

my "right" bass sound is the fender p-bass. that split pick up does exactly what i want. i don't need anything more.

15. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

When I put it in the case and legitimately forget about its existence for a month. Kinda going through this with a guitar. It's been hanging in the corner of my bedroom since the beginning of October and I forgot all about it until last night.

I lent one of my basses out to a buddy who is starting to play and I really am not missing it much.... Might have to let that one go if I continue to not use it when I do get it back.

16. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Consider the SR just another tool in your arsenal. Don't get rid of it, just buy another bass. Start a collection.

17. eccles77

eccles77

I have a condition called "bass guitar honeymoon syndrome."

What is it? It`s when you lust after a particular type of bass, buy it and 2 months down the line I somehow manage to convince myself that the bass is no longer what I need to get the job done. This has caused me to move on some really superb instruments and to to be in the smelly stuff financially on occasions.

At the moment, I have an old Epi Tbird, a Fender bitsa and a Ibby SR300 and this is now my goto bass and I simply love it.

For now!!!