1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How are the new American Standard P basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lolmont, Jan 12, 2013.

1. lolmont

lolmont

I went to a store and they had a brand new one for $755 I tested it and it was very very nice but I'd like input from a owner. I currently own a MIJ 94 P bass for a side note.
  2. valencia0919

valencia0919 Supporting Member

They are "standard". They are great. You cannot go wrong with MIA P-bass.
    That is a very, very good deal, so even if you don't like it, you will not lose much when you sell it back. Go grab it!
  3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

They are very good. I really like mine. That's a great price if it's an actual American Standard.
  4. lolmont

lolmont

It's a Maple Fret board american standard not the special with the hard case and strap.
  5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

By "new" do you mean this year's models or anything since the major revamp in 2008?

I have played a 2008 Am Std P since I bought it new in 2008. I have probably played two dozen different P basses over the years, including a few early 60's and early 70's versions. My 2008 is the best playing, best sounding P bass I have ever touched. IMHO, of course. Some day I hope to be able to try a Sadowsky P to compare, but until then I will continue to play 100% of my gigs with my '08 P.
  6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

The standard comes with the SKB hard case, strap, cable, tools and cloth - all the typical "case candy."
  7. lolmont

lolmont

It's the 2012 model with the new bridge.
  8. Smallmouth_Bass

Maybe it's a Special and not the Standard? New prices on the Standards are generally around $1250.
  9. lolmont

lolmont

it's 100% the standard the color/fret board color combo isn't available on the special.
  10. Smallmouth_Bass

Maybe they've separated the cost of the case and extras. But still, at that price you can't go wrong.
  11. lolmont

lolmont

Comes with everything brand new.
  12. lolmont

lolmont

Alright guys I'm gonna budge and do it. Sell my MIJ P bass thanks for the input.
  13. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

For that price I'll bet it's used. They might be telling you it's new, but I can't imagine them selling a brand new Am. St. for that much. Either that or it's been sitting in the store for a long time.
  14. lolmont

lolmont

I found it on Amazon sold by Amazon new so ordered off there for the same price. Right when I finished ordering it the price went to $1269

[​IMG]
  15. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Yes, Amazon will sometimes offer some unbelievable deals. Good for you and enjoy it!
  16. Road Bull

Road Bull Supporting Member

Congrats!! And we need to see some pictures when the eagle lands.
  17. lolmont

lolmont

Will do this is my first American instrument. I'm excited I have only owned Chinese and Japanese. :hyper:
  18. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Congrats. That was a good catch. :)
  19. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I played one today at L and M the fret ends could have cut my hands. I was not impressed. I will stay with my Mexicans thank you
  20. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    100%? What gig were you playing in your avatar pic? ;)