How are your crowds?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sandman357, Sep 8, 2013.

1. sandman357

sandman357

Just played at an American Legion last night and only 5 people showed. Those 5 people had a blast, and we had fun. Manager shut down an hour early. Payed us in full and apologized for the poor turnout. He wants to book us for their new years party.

How is the turnout in your area? Many bar owners are telling us it has been a very slow summer. One of my favorite places to play is closing in October.....
  2. IncX

IncX

in my country, the audiences are very shy and very reserved. they love you, but in no way will they express it. here's a video showing how unreactive they are, despite loving our performance

3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Most of our stuff has been private parties lately which wouldn't have anything to do with walk up numbers.

It's been a few years since I played in a legion hall or BPOE but we always had heavy turnout on Saturday night unless there was something else going on locally or a big ball game for the locals on TV. If the manager wanted to hire you again I wouldn't sweat a light turnout too much.
  4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Pretty aggressive. We sort of encourage that.
  5. jweber76

jweber76

We've had a few low turn outs lately too. As long as the owners (or whoever books the bands) have asked you back you're probably fine. Unfortunately, lately we've been seeing a lot of venues relying on the band and not their food/bar/venue /reputation for attendance. Also leaning heavily on the band for promotion and doing none themselves... Then giving attitude when the place is not packed wall to wall!
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    In the last 10 years the smallest crowd I have played to is about 150 people. The largest was at an outdoor venue where we opened for a major act and played to 25,000.

Here is part of that crowd.

Attached Files:

7. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

Usually pretty good, but the last two weren't. The previous gig was at a venue that has a large outdoor area and a tiki bar. It's right on the Hudson River, on a nice section, so the turnout is usually good. The best radio station in the area was there and they were giving away Jimmy Buffet tickets for his Jones Beach show. We may have had 30 people. Fortunately they were big partiers and the owner threw us an extra $100.

Last night's gig was about the same. Small, quiet yet dedicated "crowd." Probably 30 people again, but the place can hold three times that, so it looked empty. We were using our upgraded PA and sounded the best we ever did, so everybody was happy.

We're is a college area, so things should pick up now that school has started. Our next gig is out of state at a place we never played. It's supposed to be a great venue. We'll see.
  8. Mike M.

Mike M.

I've been playing two sets on Thursday nights since May at a local bar/resturaunt. (We're the Thursday night house band). Considering that it's Thursday things haven't been too lame, per say. But these last two weeks (since school has started up) have been really dead. Our drummer also play's in another band that played there two Fridays ago (which is usually pretty hopping) and he said it was worst than Thursday was.

Should be interesting to see how the rest of the year goes there.
  9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

The crowds??

Well, I'll say that it's getting rather expensive for me. I keep having to buy new clothes every week because the dang female crowd members keep rushing the stage and doing everything possible to obtain a stitch of my clothing. There have been some nights when my clothes have been torn to shreds. I keep asking for more security but there is only so much they can do. I wish the crowd would just stop doing that and enjoy the music for what it is. :meh:
  10. bound'n'blocked

bound'n'blocked

That is strange...with me, its usually the the females that have to go buy new clothes after throwing them on the stage at me!!!

BnB
  11. dirkdabass

dirkdabass

I play in the regular (Fridays, all summer long) house band at a bar/restaurant in Ortly Beach NJ. There's still blocks of empty houses (yeah, Sandy) surrounding the joint. There were only two bars that opened in Ortley this summer and the rumor is that business in these remaining bars in down 40%. The place is located right on Rt. 35, the major N/S route along the island: the road is empty at 11:00 pm - no ttraffic. The place depends a lot on locals who ride bikes or stop in walking back from the beach but there are hardly any locals anymore. So, yeah, the crowds were enthusiastic, but sparse. I had a good time this summer but look forward to when the neighborhood gets repopulated.
  12. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    In Ventura, Ca., we have a lot of live music. Even if there's not a crowd, we get paid in full. Love that! Sometimes we have to play to just our girlfriends. The bars take some repsonsibilty in getting crowds. We love Ventura music scene!
  13. zachoff

zachoff

Coming from an originals band that plays the stoner/sludge/doom crowds, it depends almost wholly on the venue and the night. After that, it depends on the other bands in the lineup.

There are a couple venues that are pretty full on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays regardless of who's playing, but most fill up around 10 or 11 so the openers don't get much love. Nothing is full on a Sunday unless you're opening for a touring band.

There are a few bands in the area that draw better than others & playing with them is always a good time. Sometimes there are a handful of really good bands on a lineup and people show up.

I've played to 200 people and I've played to 12 people. Just depends.
  14. portlandguy

portlandguy

Portland, OR

Pretty good -
  15. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

pretty good this summer.
    all the bands I play in have had really good turnouts for the most part.
    Got a regular gig at the local Six Flags park, and it pretty much rules.
    Roller coasters, funnel cakes, lots of nice people.
    We can't sell merch though, so that kinda sucks, but we have a lot of fun.
  16. tekhedd

tekhedd

The crowds have been spotty this year. I find that places that have good food and or something going on besides just "dive bar with drinks and pool" do better. Nobody wants to risk a DUI just to get drunk any more, I think.
  17. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I play in a band that is kind of a big fish in a little pond up here in the north. The bars have always been booming up until about 2 years ago. Everything is dying now. We get a better turn out than any other local group but, all the clubs are closing so, not many gigs left. I live on a boarder with cananda and an indian reservation where alot of smuggling goes on. So we have state, park, boarder patrol, campus cops (4 colleges), town cops, etc. Everyone one with a quota to fill. People are scared to have a drink with their dinner up here. We are policed to death up here and it's just a podunk little town. Im getting pissed just thinking about it. I used to have to turn down more gigs than Im playing now. The only thing that keeps us going is that we can do an acoustic rock set that costs less and is lower volume.
  18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

My crown is fantastic thanks.

Oh, you said crowd, sorry I didnt have my glasses on.
  19. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

My band does mostly private and corporate events so the numbers vary widely. We did play at Gilley's in Las Vegas this summer and every other week at Knott's Berry Farm. However we are just finishing up our summer concert series where we've had anywhere from 800 to 3000 in the audience at the various civic centers, golf courses, and parks. We play only one nightclub in the area because it's such a fantastic place to showcase the band to our private and corporate clients. Last Saturday we had 700 in the crowd at The Ranch in Anaheim.

Now that my main project is slowing down a bit I'll have time to pursue the other projects I'm involved in, a little looser, a little less "show", a little more laid back, a little funner, etc. Just some good ol' boys makin' some noise here and there. ;)

We are booked at Cars Land in Disney's California Adventure for New Year's Eve. That's a fun gig, but can be cold. We might have six or eight thousand people stroll by, hang out for a song or two, and then move on. Such is life in a theme park.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  20. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    it depends on the venue. We play a couple of places that are packed every time we play...then there are a couple of venues that are hit and miss...the ones that don't seem to have the turnout are smoking bars...That keeps a lot of our crowd away...