1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How bad is my sense of rythm?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Jan 12, 2013.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

So i found my brothers old camera and decided to record a simple cover last night... only to find that (to me) my sense of rhythm is a lot more "off" than i thought it to be. It was a cover of Dear Rosemary by the Foo Fighters. I feel a bit down so i'm coming here to ask for an HONEST opinion, is my sense of timing really as bad as im making it out to be? Worse? Better? i know that in the video i have some wrong notes here and there but im more concerned about the actual timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hbt4pppoS0

Thanks
  2. dbd1963

dbd1963 Supporting Member

When you're off, you're not that far off. Nobody would notice at a live gig. If you want your sense of timing to get even better, practice with a drummer who has good timing. Being able to feel the beat helps.
  3. kevteop

kevteop

Did you have the music too quiet to hear the beat over your bass?

Do you move in time with the music - tap your foot or anything? If you did it would help.

I think your sense of time is OK but you seem to hesitate sometimes as if you think you've got ahead of the drums, so you wait to hear the beat and of course that makes you late. I reckon you just need to be able to hear the beat a little better.
  4. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Practice with a metronome, that would help.
  5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Went through a similar discovery a few weeks ago. Recorded myself playing over a song, being off doesn't begin to describe it lol. The things a bass break can do to your sense of time...

After two weeks of shedding with a metronome and recording again, it was a difference of night and day, as they say.

Actually recording yourself is the most brutal but honest way you could ever break it to yourself that you need to shed. So taking that step alone is enlightening and your first step to growing as a player.

For me it helped to discard tapping my foot also, and instead going with feeling the pulse of the music in my spine. Whether you bob your head or move your upper body, doesn't quite matter. But I found that I keep time better that way as now rhythm is more of a physical sensation not unlike dancing. Kudos to victor wooten for that (he mentions it very briefly in his groove workshop dvd but the devil is in the details apparently!)

Practicing with a metronome on really really slow tempos also does wonders... Set it to 35 bpm and practice quarter notes. The result may surprise you lol.

In my rcording endeavours I find that I have a natural tendency to be slightly behind the beat, though it sounds like I'm dead on to me. Another thing to keep in mind, I like it that way, the important thing imo is consistency, so stick to what comes naturally.

My $0.02.
  6. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

You're close. Keep working at it. Use a metronome and try to internalize the counting. After a while it will work its way into everything you play.
  7. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

Play with a live drummer. That will fix it