1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

how bass solos have ruined jazz

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by shwashwa, May 27, 2008.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

2. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

3. larry

larry

He must have heard me play.
  4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Wow. What a waste of bandwidth. I wonder what the guy has against bass that he would write such an aggressive article?
  5. txstatebass

txstatebass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings
    In response to the article, I must humbly submit documentation in "Bill Evans, How My Heart Sings."

" Evans wanted to escape this conventional approach to Jazz form, and for good reason. He knew that if the stereotyped mold could be broken, beautiful music could be created. He was also conscious that he wanted to develop this ideal, not as a solo pianist, but with colleagues of like mind."

In short, the authors ad homonym argument is like so many things in modern society: un-researched, inappropriate, and thoroughly ignorant. Next time perhaps facts should be researched, and opinions should be educated. But I suppose the author in question is one to not let facts get in the way of the truth.
  6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

I found it ironic that Chuck Israels responded to that blog and seemingly noone noticed.

Also, 70% of the responses were posted today, probably because it was first alerted here. So does that mean Chuck Israels reads TBDB?!?! :bag: HI CHUCK!!! :D
  7. downneck

downneck

it's "ad hominem" mate :)
  8. txstatebass

txstatebass

Disclosures:
    thanks. my Latin is a bit shaky.
  9. downneck

downneck

was a philosophy major in college...had all the logic fallacies drilled into my head :p
  10. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    What a complete waste of time. The author is just trolling for hits, if you're reading this before you click on the link, don't.

See also the companion piece "How the Saxophone Destroyed Classical Music."
  11. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

Hogwash. A bad solo is a bad solo, and maybe not even that, depending on your particular preference. As solos from one particular instrument ruining a whole genre of music, Jazz, is hogwash.
  12. txstatebass

txstatebass

Disclosures:
    Well it's a good education then downneck. I never mind getting corrected.
  13. shwashwa

shwashwa

its just a bummer that a site with the web address "jazz.com" could post such garbage. you'd think the first requirement for a contributing editor on such a site would be a knowledge of jazz which the author, Alan Kurtz, clearly does not have. i know it's not a magazine, or an "article" per se, its just a blog, that's why its important to take advantage of the features of this blog and leave comments at the bottom of the page letting unsuspecting readers know that this guy does not speak for jazz musicians, jazz critics, and probably knows nothing about jazz at all. many readers may wrongly assume that because he posts there that he's some sort of authority, when in reality, any idiot can post on the internet (hence this post). he even says in his profile that he's not a musician and he's not a writer. the fact he's just heard jazz before seems to be his only qualification. (perhaps i should start writing for a medical journal since i've been to the doctor before) we should take advantage of the features of the the blog and post the counter arguement at the bottom. the scary thing is if you google this guy, it looks like he's trying to make a name for himself as a jazz writer of some sort, and he's attracting criticism other places on the web too. the part that confuses me is that you'd think that jazz.com would be trying to attract members of the jazz community rather than alienate them. as far as im concerned, after reading that post, jazz.com is garbage for allowing it. jazz in general faces enough challenges. it doesnt need another dope running around doing more damage, especially on a site that seems like it would want to advocate for jazz.

one really cool thing though, chuck israels posted on it!
  14. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

15. mikeypbass

mikeypbass

"This cliché misconstrues jazz and democracy. An effective group requires both a leader with vision, and participants willing to cooperate towards a common goal."

That to me is complete ********
    Jazz is not one artist using other people as his paintbrushes and paints, it's about multiple artists bringing their own paints and paintbrushes to paint a communal picture. In a way to me, however much i hate to say this, jazz is more like communism, minus Stalin.

Where does he get off saying the crap he says in that article!
    What a load of bull
  16. shwashwa

shwashwa

he's a troll for sure, but as i said in my previous post, he's trying to become some sort of authority on jazz, and most non musicians who read the site probably think that he is an authority. i love jazz and jazz bass enough to try to actually support and help the music rather than hurt it. you'd think a site like jazz.com would think the same way.
  17. Bassgirlsara

Bassgirlsara

well that was a waste of reading. what a piece of garbage.
  18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx

Wow, someone actually sacrificed the integrity of their site by giving some no-name jazz conservative space to rant? :rolleyes:
  19. shwashwa

shwashwa

where is ed faqua when we need him?
  20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Stanley Crouch wannabe.