1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How big combo do I need ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by M4verick, Mar 1, 2014.

1. M4verick

M4verick

I live in a very small apartemt and I'm looking for bass combo to play and practice at my home (no band and such).

I don't play loud, I usually only want to hear my notes clearly when I practice so I was wondering, what combo size would be optimal, considering I want the best audio quaity with low-moderate volume.

Could anyone explain to me the corelation between speaker size, volume and sound quality ? Is it true that I will receive better sound playing softly through 15' speaker then through 10' ?

2. MakoMan

MakoMan

For apartment practice all you really need is a $99 Ampeg BA-108. There is a ton of information about them on TB if you do a search. Basically great tone and a TON of features usually not found on bass amps in that price range. There are other good practice amps as well - the new Fender Rumbles look VERY nice - but my personal preference as a practice amp is the little Ampeg.
    Obviously the bigger the speaker the greater the potential volume, as it will move more air. In my opinion it is not true that you will receive better sound playing softly through a 15" speaker than a 10"... quite the opposite in fact. Some other posters may disagree.
    For apartment practice get something small (but good!) and for shows get something big and powerful. It's really that simple. After that it is a matter personal preference.

3. Linnin

Linnin

If you haven't done so already, go to a good music store or stores and audition all the bass combos in your price range.

The new Fender Rumbles are not going to be available until the end of March, and won't be in Guitar Centers until April. The Rumble 40 is going to be super competative due to it's Class D power amp and also sharing the very same front end with it's more powerful brethren the 100; 200, and 500 Rumbles. That's going to be an absolutely killer tone package in a lightweight compact 40 watt 1x10 combo. $180 at most major e-tailers.

The recent GK 110 combo is also an excellent, but more expensive and more powerful choice.

Amp shopping is a lot of fun, so do enjoy! :)

4. fabubass

fabubass

Just this morning, I went to Sam Ash and bought a little 15 watt Hartke amp for my music room to work out songs from youtube. I got it for the Pesident's day price, $67.00

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

+1 on the little Ampeg! Great tone and only $99!

7. DogBone

DogBone

My opinion, that I shared on a similar thread, was that any bass amp is too much for an apartment.

So whatever brand of amp you get, make sure it has a headphone jack (most smaller bass amps these days do) and consider a decent set of headphones as well. It will let you hear EVERYTHING you are playing and keep the peace with the neighbors.

With that said, I recommend you get yourself one of those $100 Ampeg BA108 combos and you'll have everything you need, great tone and enough volume for low key jams with other musicians.

8. Tomems

Tomems

Are you sure the Fender rumble 40 is going to be class D? On the specs, it doesn't mention class D until 100 W, but in the video, and on some websites, it lists the 40 W is class D.

9. Tomems

Tomems

And another question. Why is class D better? Every time I Google it, all I can find is the science. I don't care about the engineering. Does it sound better? Why/how?

10. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

I'm no techie or scientist, but seems to me class D=lots of power considering the small and lightweight size. As for sound characteristics I have no idea.

11. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Class D have a very low working temperatures.

12. DogBone

DogBone

Class D is all about light weight.

Many hundreds of watts in a package that weighs only a few pounds.

It's mainly in the power supply, less iron and less heat to have to sink or cool with a fan.

It doesn't necessarily sound any better or worse than traditional amplifier topologies, that depends on mainly the engineering and components and goals of the manufacturer.

13. Crabby

Crabby

If you can find a used Roland Bass cube, they are really amazing for low volume playing. Its the one with the 4 little speakers. It has a bunch of amp models built in and some drum tracks to jam along with. It was overpriced new and is now discontinued but they sound great and are a blast if you can find one on the used market.

14. Tomems

Tomems

Okay, So it's lighter, and not necessarily more powerful for the wattage. But much lighter for the wattage.

15. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini

If all you are doing is practicing at home, you definitely do not need 350 watts and a 15" speaker combo. Personally I use a SWR Workingman's 10" w/100 watts. More than enough for me and I occasionally use it out for small gigs or with my AEB.
    Said before; go to a store with many small combos and take a few for a test drive in your price range.

16. Linnin

Linnin

I thought in a video I saw that all the amps the shared the same pre-amp were class D, but I am also seeing the same conflicting information or misinformation that you are. I do not intend to mislead anyone nor spread misinformation.

Fender has not as yet released the new owner's manuals or schematics in PDF format for download. I'll put in a call to Fender on Monday. Anyone can at: (480) 596-7195.

17. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

I love my little Ampeg!! Makes me want the bigger version.
    For now I'm trying to get my GB contour to sound like one

18. Tomems

Tomems

Thanks Linnin, let us know what Fender says on the phone.

19. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Headphones/earbuds probably would be best for very small apartment dwelling - but if you must use a bass amp, a little low powered bass combo like the Ampeg BA108 would be a good choice.

You should start a separate thread for this question - and be prepared for a long conflicting and sometimes heated thread too (or better yet, just do a search).

20. Linnin

Linnin

OK! Good news. I just got off the phone with Fender, and just as I had originally thought Rumbles 40 through 500 are all Class D and all share the very same pre-amp. :hyper:

May The Joy Of Fender Rumble Be Yours :cool:

21. Tomems

Tomems

Awesome, thanks!