How 'bout this Rick (copy)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lawkeeper, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Lawkeeper

Lawkeeper

Hi guys and gals,

I saw an ad for this Rickenbacker 4001 copy. I thought I'd check with more experienced folks to see if this thing is any good. Here's the link:
    Link
    (Mind you, it's a Dutch website).

Apart from the truss rod cover it looks pretty good to me. The price is lower than most of the Rickenbacker copy ads (last time I saw one around here was an Ibanez for 675 euros).
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Rickenbassist

Rickenbassist

Disclosures:
    Thumb Thumper
    Mate just save up your cash a buy the real deal.
  3. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I wouldn't waste my money. Cheap looking tuners, cheap looking headstock, cheap looking bolt-on neck, jack-plates looking like they're already starting to corrode. 550 euros is over $700 -- if you can afford the copy, you are halfway to affording the real thing. If you don't want to spend ~$1500 or so, then get something else like a Jazz.
  4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

550€ for a generic BO Matsumoku bass of any kind is a pipe dream if You ask me.

:)

Not worth it over here unless one gets real lucky.
    IMHO anyway.

Not bad basses in any way, quite the contrary, but not 2000€+ good either.
    With that kind of cash, You'll get a hand-made bass easily.
    IMHO, again, obviously.

550€ is more like a quarterway here.

BTW, why on earth someone wanting a Ric (or a clone) would choose a J instead?
    Care to elaborate a bit?

Regards
    Sam
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    My point is this: I don't see spending 550euro on a cheap Ric copy as a wise option, particularly the bass that was listed in the OP's link. I believe if he were to purchase that bass, he would regret it immediately and forever after.

Therefore, I believe his real choice is between taking another year or so to save up for the real thing, and spending 550euro or less on another bass entirely.

To put it another way: If he has GAS for a Ric, I believe his GAS will not be satisfied with the acquisition of the linked cheap copy. Since I believe that to be true, my recommendation is to get something else for now, and satisfy his Ric GAS in the future when he can afford to get the real thing.
  7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

550 euros is a lot for a junk copy. Like others have said, you can buy a good used brand name for that.
  8. bill reed

bill reed

I think the best bass in this style is the Rockinbetter.
    its a three piece maple thru neck. they have been on the go for almost 30 years now and the 22fret models are the best off them all. they sell at £469 and are really good for the price. there are a couple of guys on here with them and like me they are very happy with them. well made and well worth the money.

Attached Files: