1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How can I convert my Ampeg 810 to 610?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by joshhhcano, Feb 12, 2014.

1. joshhhcano

joshhhcano

I really want to convert my ampeg 810 to 610.
    If I build to exact dimensions of 610 and basically just transfer 6 of the speakers will this work?
  2. catgut

catgut

Why don't you just rip out a set of 2 speakers? I wouldn't trust my woodworking skills and a bunch of the tone came from the wood rigidity and internal design. Not just a box with drivers. I ran with 7 for years:D What amp are you running?
  3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If you are trying to cop the tone of ampegs 610 its not going to happen, those are ported and tuned way lower, I would either do like the above suggested or trade the 810 for a 610.
  4. Sartori

Sartori

I think he just wants his 810 to be smaller.
  5. joshhhcano

joshhhcano

Yeah there's absolutely no 610 in my area :(
    There was an interesting post with dimensions. I'll come back and post it here. Right now I do not have an amp, but am probably going to get a svt cl
  6. Sartori

Sartori

Have you considered getting a Bergantino NV610? Or are new cabs out of your price range?
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why not just sell the 8X10 and buy a 6X10?
  8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Additionally, taking two speakers out of the equation will change the impedance of your cab. Which may or may not work with your amp.

In other words, hacking up your cab will result in just that. A hack job.

What is your end goal in these modifications? Tone? Size?
  9. joshhhcano

joshhhcano

@CL400Peavey Size was an end goal, but I didn't want to compromise tone. I was aware its not going to sound like an 810, but definitely do not want it sounding like ****
  10. joshhhcano

joshhhcano

11. joshhhcano

joshhhcano

@Sartori newer cabs are kinda out of price range, yes. If it comes down to it, I may just follow @bassgod0dmw advice and sell it and purchase a 610. Only problem is the person I purchased from dropped it on the corner where the wheel caved in so I may get a little less for it which was also why I was just thinking of rebuilding the cab
  12. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Depends on the amp you are using.
  13. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Do you realize that there are actually 4 independent sealed chambers inside the 8x10? It's not a big empty box. So to do the 6x10 version you will have to copy the design, so you'll have 3 2x10 boxes essentially inside one box.
  14. chadds

chadds

Buying used is a god option. A lot of gear never sees gigs or is used lightly.
    If you build a cab you will have a hard time selling it. The cost difference and aggravation unless you are a skilled carpenter with speaker cab building knowledge and a well outfitted shop, are not worth it.
    I suggest selling your 8x10 taking some loss because of damage and move on.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

By doing as the OP describes, he'll end up with a 5.33Ω resultant load. Useless for use with a tube amp and not much better with a SS one. I would consider this a lose/lose situation.
  16. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla Supporting Member

Here is another option:
    Don Oatman at LDS built me this sealed 610 exactly to copy the sealed Ampeg 810 vibe. It has 6 10 Eminence 32 ohm ceramic drivers each in a 210 sealed chamber just like the Ampeg. 5.33 ohms, 900 watts continuous, 1800 peak. Rear towel bar, skid rails, 91 lbs. It sounds awesome with my Mesa Prodigy. The cost including shipping was very reasonable, a good bit less than a new ampeg 610, and it sounds way better. Classic, tight sealed punch.

Attached Files:

17. Timmah

Timmah

OP, if you're going to cut up your cab, why not make the 810 into a set of matching 8 ohm 410s? You have modularity (and the small size for smaller gigs) with the benefit of having the full fridge volume when you need it.
  18. zenman

zenman

5.33Ω seems like a reasonable load to SS amp Paul. What am I missing?
  19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

You'll get a bit more power than at 8Ω and not as much as you would at 4Ω. Should you ever wish to pair with another cabinet your voltage distribution and total load will be messed up.
  20. zenman

zenman

All true, but still a far cry from "not much better than useless". I'd say that would still be a pretty viable rig. I don't think I'd bother carving up the Ampeg to achieve it though.