How can I get more punch from my Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Georgejad, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Georgejad

Georgejad

I've had a Squier Jazz bass for a year and half now and I replaced the stock pick-ups with EMG J bass pick-ups, as much as I like these pickups, I can't seem to get much Punch and low-end from the Bridge pick-up. Anybody know how to get this to change?

2. abemo

abemo

I would add a series/parallel switch, tons more punch.

3. Waldo19

Waldo19

Use the neck pickup. Due to its placement and design it is intended to give you more low end.

4. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

I would suggest installing an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. TONS of punch to back up the J bass tone!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Georgejad

Georgejad

I have tried using the neck pick-up, I do enjoy the sound but one issue I have is that I struggle to play on the Neck pickup it's self, whether I'm using a pick or my fingers I always play down at the bridge, it's just what I've gotten most comfortable with, so if I do use the neck pick-up I don't get it's best quality.

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The EMG jazz bridge pickup is notoriously thin sounding. You should make sure the pickup is very close to the strings but an active EQ is the only true solution IMO.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  9. Georgejad

Georgejad

I've tried putting the pick-up closer but every time I do I can't get the screws tight enough without the pick-up getting farther away.

10. Georgejad

Georgejad

It is a Line 6 lowdown. Which I know can produce great sounding bass

11. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

I find punch not to be a problem
    75 J
    Very hotrodded
    You need to get off that bridge
    Somewhere between the two works for me
    Try useing one of the pu's for an anchor

12. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like you need to add a little extra foam under the pickup. Or are you saying the screws themselves aren't long enough?

13. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Which Line 6 Lowdown amp? I had the studio 110 and it was a decent amp at best....

14. Georgejad

Georgejad

Screws are fine. I'll try the foam, thanks

15. Georgejad

Georgejad

Just the 15 Lowdown. I find it good for all the size of it, it's all I need too, not gigging or anything

16. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

People here seem a bit power crazy, I've gotton along with a GK amps w/only 100/150 watts into a single 15 for well over 40 years

17. abemo

abemo

Where you pluck the string does make a difference in tone, but I think the point was to favor the neck pup in terms of volume, not in terms of right hand placement. Turn the bridge pup down to half volume and leave the neck pup dimed, and see what that does, you can refine the balance between them from there. The neck pup will be dominant no matter where you pluck the string if its st to a higher volume level.

As far as where you pluck the string is concerned, pluckinf by the neck produces a louder but smoother tone, plucking near the bridge is slightly quieter, but punchier, IMO.

18. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Are you scooping the mids? That'll kill any bridge pickup tone.

19. Cadfael

Cadfael

Pickup selection has nothing to do with the position of your fingers/picking!

A neck J normally has no punch ...
    I prefer Volumes 10/10, 10/7 and 7/10 ...
    Still a bit hum cancelling and punch with more or less brightness.

I don't think that a series wiring might help. Surely more output - but you should first try the 10/7 and 7/10 volume know settings ...

20. Toptube

Toptube

"Punch" seems to vary from bass to bass. Something about the physical properties of each individual specimen. My Crafted in Japan Jaguar is the punchiest bass I have ever layed hands on. Its has spoiled me and made me unhappy with a lot of other basses.

Strings can help pretty noticeably, though. Punch seems to come more from warmer strings. I actually find Web Strings nickels to be quite punchy. as far as pickups, most of the punch is going to come from the neck. raise it up more, if you have some room. The Bridge is mostly for that hoss sounding detail/growl, when using both pickups. Its also adds some tightness to the lows and low mids.

21. datsaxguy

datsaxguy Supporting Member

I get different tones on my bass from burpy, punchy, sizzly, depending on how I EQ my bass and where I pluck the string. If I want the burpy jaco thing I boost mids and play on or close to the bridge pick up. If I want punch I boost low mids and bass and play closer to the bridge. I use my balance knob to get more or less of each pup.

You can't play in one spot on your bass and want the tones to come to u, play the bass to get the tones. My 2 cents.