1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How can I get this kind of tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joshhhcano, Mar 2, 2014.

1. joshhhcano

joshhhcano

What pickups will I need to get this kind of tone? Types of pedals are welcomed too.
    Right now I have a aerodyne PJ bass with no pickups. Im thinking of getting a RAT pedal or big muff.

Bass is heard better on first song

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    You would definitely need pickups to get that sound.

:D

Most passive PJ sets could get you a similar sound, but you might want to check into the EMG Geezer Butler PJ set, due out this week or next according to info I've seen posted on online music stores. I got the P last week and it rules hard and would be perfect for a heavy tone like that. But whatever you do, I'd advise against getting a random P and J and slapping them together. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. You can have hum issues and volume balance issues with random pickups. With P's, I prefer a humbucking J because of the hum issue, and I like one that's a little bit hot as well to match volume-wise better with the P. Haven't tried the Geezer PJ set yet (I plan to) but the J is humbucking and made to balance better with the P. I am an endorser, but I've only been one for a couple days and wouldn't recommend anything I wouldn't use myself ;) I made sure I liked the Geezer before accepting the offer!

3. erratick

erratick

Sounds to me like a humbucker bass like a Musicman. Roundwound strings and play near the bridge- probably with a pick.

It isn't really distorted at the beginning of the first song- you probably don't need a rat/fuzz. Any burn on that is from higher gain on the amp and from the bass.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Defeater's bassist uses a Jazz and an SVT. You could get that sound with a PJ, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joshhhcano

joshhhcano

What about some Seymour quarter pounders?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I used to have them in my P Lyte, and they were OK but they were rather dark. Tried them in one of my standard PJ's and they were dark and mid scooped. For a dark but loud pickup I prefer the DiMarzio Model PJ set. But that dude sounds like he's using vintage style pickups. Seems to have more treble than a set of QP's or Model PJ's deliver. Couldn't see what he was using for pickups but he gives off the appearance of a "whatever" type of guy who probably just uses what came with his bass.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If you want something hot like the Q-pounds. Rio Grande Muy Grandes are just as hot but much better sounding. They could nail this tone easily.

A Muff or Rat may be a bit much for that tone, an overdrive would probably work better than a straight up fuzz.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

You can cop that tone with an active bass and scooped mids ... try an ibanez bass

10. joshhhcano

joshhhcano

I just got an aerodyne bass. My buddy is going to give me some QP pickups for a reeeally good price. Assuming I get those, do y'all think it'll more or less sound like that?

11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If you EQ right you should be able to get very close.

12. spaz21387

spaz21387

I dont think so. quarterpounders sound more like this...

13. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

Sounds like a Sansamp BDDI to me. I've listened to recordings from years back when I used that pedal & it is a very similar mid scooped tone with the same top end as that recording.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I was thinking possibly the same thing. BDDI's very popular in metal circles. But dude uses an SVT live at least.

15. joshhhcano

joshhhcano

I believe I'll stick with the quarter pounds and just achieve my own tone, but similar if that makes sense?
    But I will definitely decide on getting that BDDI guys! Thanks

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    It actually does make sense. QP's are good pickups, they just weren't my thing.