How can I install EMG pickups into a Jackson Concert Series 5 String?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jrmancha4394, Feb 5, 2014.

1. jrmancha4394

jrmancha4394

Hello, I've been thinking about replacing my stock pickups with EMG's on my bass (Active)...my only question is how would I install them to the bass which already has a 3 knob EQ preamp installed? Because EMG's instruction pdf says that there is a two volume and one tone control diagram, how would I put that on my bass? Would I have to drill another hole for the tone knob?

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...2G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CNWK_9zgtrwCFZRr7AodGH8A6g thats the bass I have

(I'm still kind of new at this installation stuff so please bear with me)
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

I'm not sure I follow I guess. Your bass has more holes than you need actually. The EMG instructions are for when you don't use a preamp. The EMG BQS preamp system might get you where you need to go with the preamp part. It has the same amount of knobs and layout that you currently have. It's sold as a separate item from the pickups. http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/bass-accessories/bass-eq-active/bqssystem.html
  3. jrmancha4394

jrmancha4394

Can i just add the pickups then and take off the preamp? Would it still have a pretty nice decent sound? i am not really satisfied with the sound of my bass...looking for a more clearer tone and Ive heard plenty of times EMG shapes a warm tone really nice
  4. jrmancha4394

jrmancha4394

Or better yet how can I install the 40s with the 3 band eq i already have installed?
  5. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I dont see why you couldnt use the EMG 40s with the stock preamp.

Ive been considering swapping the pickups in my CMG with some 35s and adding a BQS preamp. The BQS is what comes in the $4000 Dave Ellefson sig.
  6. gpx1200

gpx1200

if the pickups are already active then you should be able to just swap the old ones out for new ones and reconnect the wires the same way, one pickup to each volume then to the preamp just like they are probably already wired as long as your bass already has the right pots for active pickups if not youll have to swap them out for the pots that come with the emg's witch is a simple task because the emg stuff is all prewired with plugs.
    personaly I would get rid of one of the volumes and get a blend controle for the pickups in wich case you run bolth pickups to the blend then to the volume-preamp.
    either way you don't need the tone controle, you use the eq preamp instead.
    I put emg twx pickups in 2 of my spectors and I love them but then you have to use 2 volumes(push/pull pot switches for the coil taps) unless you want to do some serious rewiring of the switch harness to add a coil tap switch but I do have pics to help if you want to go this rout.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The EMG BQS preamp rocks like mad. I have the BQC in two of my basses (same thing but in 4-knob form) and it's great. I would rip out the guts of the Jackson and install a BQS along with the pickups. You can install the preamp you have to the EMG's by cutting the quick connect wires on one end and soldering the appropriate wires from the preamp to them, but let's face it...it's a less-than-$400 bass put out by Fender with cheap active electronics. Plays nice, but if I were going to the trouble of replacing duff pickups with much nicer EMG's, I wouldn't want to throttle them with a cheap preamp. And it all hooks together with quick connects, which is nice if you're like me and your soldering sucks.
  8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I just swapped the electronics in my Jackson CMG to 35DC's and a BQS. It sounds absolutely amazing. I ordered a second BQS for my 92 Concert V