How can I safely clean tarnished Gold hardware?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Dec 13, 2012.

1. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

In more posts than I can remember, I've made numerous references to my Ibanez SR885 which I've owned for about 19 years. I'm not the handiest person, but I took some time to work with it last night. (It was my first time doing a setup by myself, making a minor truss tod adjustment, lowering the action & re-setting the intonation.)

Anyway, after many years of regularly sweating on stage, I noticed a lot of tarnish (perhaps light rust.) What product can I use to safely bring back the shine of my hardware?
  2. Disappear

Disappear

Well that's the thing, they're usually gold plated (lest they would cost a billion bucks for a bridge) so if it's rubbing off... well there's not much you can do to put it back on...

that being said

rubbing alcohol will take off oil, grease, grime and it wont rust your gear (iff you use 99% or so) but use it on a cotton swab or something. I'm not sure of its compatibility with the finish of the bass as it might strip it and i might get flamed for ignorance (i apologize)
  3. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Gold polishing cloth.
  4. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    That's just why I always get the plain ole chrome. It ages better IMO. That goes for black HW as well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

I'd say forget about it. Just like nicks on the body, it's part of the aging process of the bass.