How can you determine, what kind of music a band plays

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Okay, sorry if the titel is a bit misleading. Don't really know how to discripe it :p

Thing is, I'm always wondering how you can decide what kind of music bands play.

One thing I always mix up, is Symphonic Metal and Power Metal. There are some differences here and there of course, but I heared some other people confuse other several (sub) genre's with each other.

So, is there a way how you can sort of say, what kind of music a band makes?

2. letsrumble

letsrumble

Go to metal-archives.com, search under their name, and look under "genre"? Wikipedia works for non-metal bands.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

There are only two kinds of music the kind that makes you "wiggle" and the kind that doesn't.

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Just ask one of the band members. To be sure they'll be offended if you call them screamo when they're really doom...... er whatever.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

This annoys me to no end. I've broken down the word "screamo" more than a few times to different people, as in "screamo= screaming + emo." Call me petty but dagnabbit its infuriating when someone comes up to me while I'm listening to some masterful tech death or some old school black metal, and calls it screamo, I find it very insulting. YMMV, IMO, blah blah blah.

@OP:

Listen more. You'll start hearing more and more traits that are signature to different genres. Just don't get too caught up in it, it really doesn't matter, imho. As long as it gets her head bangin or brain thinking, its all good.

7. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Who decides this stuff? Is there a panel that meets every six month who defines each genre and set out the criteria!

Hilarious.