1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How could anyone not like Victor Wooten?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Harper, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Harper

Harper

Seriously, even if his music isn't your thing, does he ever not come off like someone you'd want to hang out with? I don't aspire to play like him at all, but every time I hear him talk about/play bass I pick up a little something for the tool box or gain a new way to think about the instrument.

2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Some people are frightened by progress and new ideas. They want ALL bass players to play root/5th and maybe a passing tone or two, but only when absolutely necessary. They get belligerent when their pre-conceived role for the bass is challenged and think everyone has to think like they do. Victor embodies change and some people can't handle it.

Brazilfunk likes this.
  3. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more with you, Lfmn.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It's more like a lot of people hate gratuitous wanking, something Mr Wooten happily embraces.
    He seems like a wonderful person, top notch player without a doubt but one could easily question his tastes.
    I love his work with the Flecktones, not so much is solo work.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

I like his humility.
    I saw him on an episode of studio jams and it was obvious that he didn't have the same jazz skillset as some of the other guys he was playing with, but he just asked questions and talked with complete sincerity and nobody looked down on him for being the fish out of water in the group. And the songs turned out great because he is a great musician.
    I don't generally like his solo (or bass and drum) ventures, but when he is laying back and grooving with a band, he is hard to beat as a tasteful pocket bassist.

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

yup.

8. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

I met him briefly a couple of years ago at a clinic. What a genuine, well spoke articulate open minded sharing mentoring encouraging person. Oh yeah - Dude can play! the little I was able to see, hear and watch was far beyond anything I could comprehend as a player from the little bit of ability I possess.

He not only HAS something special, he IS something special.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I just wish his fans showed the same humility when talking about him.

10. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I dont really care or like him.

11. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

I read his book, The Music Lesson, and came away scratching my head, probably because I'm someone who still aspires to being a good sight-reader. Wooten, as best I can tell, is talking about going beyond skill and into pure musicality. Truthfully, I don't hear that in his playing, but I'm in no position to judge.

12. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

I can definitely agree with this. Its always strange to see how the followers of someone so open minded and nonjudgemental can turn around and be so closed and judgemental.

13. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    With regards to music, How could anybody not like Geddy lee, or Jaco? or Flea? Its a matter of taste and what moves the listener. At the risk of oversimplifying , that's how I see it. Different strokes for different folks.
    Personally, if you don't know him, how could you not like him? I have been lucky enough to meet Victor, watch him record in the studio and hang with him a bit. He seems like a genuine, generous and humble man.

14. slapfunk987

slapfunk987

I actually dont like Victor Wooten and Im primarily a slap bass fan. His albums are not that good to me but when he is live, his solos can be pretty good. I lean more towards Marcus Miller because he can groove like nobody else and his phrasing is crazy. But after listening to Marcus for so long I can start to see patterns in his playing so Im looking for the next bass player that moves me.

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I love Marcus in short doses I can watch a short video clip and be amazed but I couldn't sit through a full concert? but there is no doubt at all that he is incredibly talented and deserves the recognition he has.

16. Mugre

Mugre

It's just a little chops heavy for me. It's not that I need only roots and 5ths. I don't think you can put The Ox in that box nor my personal bass hero Graham Maby (Joe Jackson Band) nor yet Darryl Jones who also inspires me. I just don't like fusion that much and Wooten tends to be a note-dense for my tastes.

17. Herrick

Herrick

I'm not a fan of his music but I'm blown away by his talent and he seems like a cool dude.

18. Itzayana

Itzayana

Yeah Wooten is a really good player and innovator but like a lot of other really good players, Jeff Beck for instance, after about ten minutes it's like... wow man can't you do anything other than that?

19. JimK

JimK

FWIW, I find Jeff Beck very eclectic...

I have told this Wooten story here before. So, is he cool?

In the mid-'90s, The Flecktones are playing the Town Point Jazz Fest here in Norfolk, VA (Wooten's neck of the woods).
    IIRC, this is one of their 1st-ever visits.
    My GF, who I am teaching bass, does not want to go.
    She asks, "...really, how much better is he than you"?
    Outta the mouth of babes, right?

About 10 seconds into their 1st song (maybe "Turtle Rock"), she sez, "Oh_my_God".

When they finish their set, she sends me off to buy (cough-cough) a couple of wine coolers.
    Meanwhile, she runs up to Victor Wooten & asks for an autograph...problem: she has nothing for him to sign.
    As I stand in line with the other winos, I watch her sprint to the T-Shirt stand, grab a shirt, throw some $ on the table, & sprint back.
    The whole time, Victor stood there patiently & waited for her.

Remember, this is his town & he had family & others waiting for him...for sure.

All night long, I hadda hear "Victor Wooten is the man".

...and she still has the T-Shirt!
    ;)

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Great story but I'm sure she's hot he might not have waited for you :)

21. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Has everyone ever in history liked the same thing or the same person?
    That would just go against human nature. ;)