1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How did Rob Trujillo get this sound?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tupac, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

I know he was using a Tobias here, and obviously had low, clanky new strings. But how does he get that mean grindy sound? I think it may be his EQ or amp.
  2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Uh what sound? I'm guessing you meant to post a link.

His basic tone is really just a more or less scooped EQ with overdrive. Heavy right hand. I think he also uses stainless steel strings.
  3. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Heavy Industry
    Don't forget that he uses the tried and true method of running bass and guitar amps!
  4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

First channel to be 100% clean. A second channel - distortion. Overdrive of some sort. He uses a Mesa head for the distortion. Simple overdrive pedal with a blend pedal will get everything you want. You can mix the clean channel with the distortion for use in ONE rig. You don't need to buy a second rig.
  5. Tupac

Tupac

Oh dangit. I mean this which I forgot to post. It's a lot different than his tone today.
  6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

It sounds different . . . I can hear him well, unlike today.
    He must get serious dosh to do the metallica thang.

I think a lot of his tone comes from an aggressive technique.
  7. Duckwater

Duckwater

Aggressive technique, low(not too low) action, fresh stainless steel strings, lots of high mids and maybe a touch of overdrive.