1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How did YOU decide which bass to sell?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Groove Doctor, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

How did you decided which bass(es) to keep & which basses to sell?

Have you ever regretted a sale? Why?

Have you replaced that bass?

Please share your experiences. :)

2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I sold one bass, and I regret it deeply!
    My very first bass was a 4 string squier Jazz bass and I loved it. After 2 years of lessons and training I was ready to go 5string and needed the cash. Sold the Jazz bass for 95% of its new price (damn that were good times) but I want it back since that very day.
    Luckily it was (just) a Squier and novadays they make the very same basses in 5String version, so I can go that route once again for not too much cash

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I just sold seven basses they were ones I wasn't using and one in particular was my first custom bass I felt bad after seeing it on the website still unsold I still may buy it back

4. Depth_Charge

Depth_Charge

I had a J&D luthiers 5 string, natural wood, neckthrough. Beautiful rich tone, not too heavy.

The strings were too close together and swapping between my gigging 4's and that 5 was taking too long IMO.

Heard you can get basses with adjustable string widths so started looking for one and sold the JD to fund it. Regretted it the day after selling it, and never did replace it either.

Currently having some serious GAS for a Stingray5, so a replacement might be on the horizon :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mcarp555

mcarp555

I got a '67 Jazz, so I sold the Mexican. No-brainer, really. It went to a working band, where I recently saw a pic of it as the backup bass on stage. That seemed better to me than just stuck in my closet, doing nothing.

7. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Only bass I ever sold was my very first bass. Cheap beginner bass, but I miss it.

I have 13 basses now, and need to decide what to move on. Most are hard to replace... esp at the price I bought them.

It's comforting to hear other people still miss their old faithfuls. Cheers. Keep the stories coming. :)

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I've sold many basses. I have some minor regrets about selling a few. Very few major regrets. I usually think it through before deciding to sell.

How do I decide which to sell? I look at all my basses and try to determine which one would bother me the LEAST if I no longer had it. That's the one that gets picked to sell. Over the years though, it becomes harder and harder because ideally, you have built your collection in such a way that you really like all of them a lot. Admittedly, that can be really tough.

9. SteveC

SteveC

I have bought and sold many basses over the years. I keep the ones I like and have a use for. I have regretted a couple, and I have replaced a bass or two - sometimes with the exact same bass!

I have been able to try just about every bass I have been curious about. I have found my favorites and I have found basses that are "good enough" for what I do.

I am torn at the moment about keeping my "fancy, extended range" basses or simplifying and going to a simple passive 4 string .

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

If I think I might sell a particular bass, I put it in the closet and if I don't miss it after a month or two, it goes up for sale. There are a couple I wish I'd kept - mostly my Warwick.

11. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

It depends on the situation. Some people find themselves in a financial situation and sell what will bring in the most money. Many times your main player is worth more to you than any buyer, so you hang on to it. I regret selling my 1967 Fender Coronado II and losing my 1976 Jazz neck/ P body franken bass to pawn. I currently have 8 basses I don't play but it doesn't seem to stop me from buying. None of my basses are worth more than $500 each now.

12. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    The less loved one :)

No

Not right away

13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Any time I have sold a Precision bass and been without one in my stable, I've regretted it. In fact, I regret selling every P bass I've ever owned. The idea of anything else sounds good until I play it in a full band context, but then I'm like "What am thinking???"

I won't be selling anymore of them in the future and if I do, it will be to fund another precision.

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I don't know how many basses I currently own. Somewhere around 20. I've probably sold around 50. Most were easy, I didn't like them. Recently sold a couple I liked but never used, and I knew I wouldn't. I was motivated by the desire for more gear :).

Thus far I've only regretted one sale. About 10 years ago I let go of a 75 P bass for $200 because the neck was a little off. I was a clueless idiot at that time. I got the bass for $100, from an even bigger clueless idiot. Still hurts.

15. electracoyote

electracoyote

I am a bass guitar collector. I own around 20, from Squiers to custom builds. And I pick them out carefully because I think they will both sound good and look good.

But if I go to rehearse/gig with one, or record with one, and I don't dig what's happening with it, I have a tough choice to make: Change out parts until good tone comes, or sell it off. I usually pick the latter.

Hearing a bass at stage volume and played back from a recorded track is a big eye-opener (or is that ear-opener?).

16. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

I sold a bass I didn't care much about. Had got it only a month earlier. No regrets, it had too little strings for me anyways.

17. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I've purchased many basses over many years and sold or traded some of them. I still have more than I need. I find it hard to let go of my basses, because I got 'em because there was something about each one that I really liked. Still, I haven't had serious regrets about selling any. As Jeff K said, I find it gets harder over time because you do weed out the marginal ones as you build the collection.
    I just traded a recent Jazz and a Strat for an early '70s P-Bass. The Jazz was fantastic, but it wasn't getting much playing time, I have another Jazz, recent J's are easily replaceable and the P-Bass was screaming out my name, even though I have others. I literally thought it over for weeks, though.

18. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

I'm dumping anything that isn't Fender or something I personally built. I even got a Fender SCE Sonoran sixer for an acoustic/electric guitar.

I find I get lots more respect showing up with a Fender than any other brand here in Montana, so away now with all my Ibanezes and even my LPS.

Funny, but it was the other way around in SoCal when I lived there. Bring-a-Fender and go home and get something different, especially in Temecula wine rooms and restaurants.

Talking jazz and blues here, but C/W demands Fenders here too. I'm not saying anything about metal, where anything goes. :ninja:

Almost any venue is open to a URB though. Go digger!

19. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

If I don't like it, it goes. If I like it, it stays. Not much thinking involved.

20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If I'm not playing it on a regular basis, that means I'm picking other bases. Unless it's a keepsake, I'll end up selling the ones that don't get played.

21. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

I sold a really nice bass-
    it came down to weight and its unique sound
    both qualities meant that in a band environment, it wasn't getting used.
    it would have likely never seen a gig