How did you meet Beck?

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Dan Bozek, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    I was listening to some of his music tonight, and was reading a Wikipedia bio at the same time. Such an interesting journey even when abbreviated on the internet.

So how and when did you first meet him and start to become a part of that whole storyline? You've said before that the collaboration with his work is one of the things that helped springboard you into work with other artists and producers. I'm guessing it started out as a pretty normal event and then the ride continued from there for all of you guys.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

When I was 17 I got a job straight out of high school at the legendary (and now defunct) Cherokee Recording Studios in Hollywood, as a night janitor. Beck's father David Campbell was there, working on a project as an arranger/producer. I got to chatting with him, and he seemed to think I had something going for myself and offered me a job being his assistant, if I was ever interested in that. Of course I was, so I quit there, and went to work for David Campbell. Within a month, I met his singing/guitar-playing son, and he and I became friendly. Even back then, Beck and I were recording on his four-track, making up songs and exploring. Then he moved to Europe and New York and then blew up. :) Years later, I found myself playing with him. Crazy.

3. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Wow. Too cool!! Gracias.

4. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

That's a great journey. The only Beck show I have seen was in July 1996 at the Eurockéennes festival in France and I think you were on stage that afternoon. It was a good one. I remember Beck dressed as a seaman:
    (Roll on to 06:20)
    How did you cope with the pressure of big gigs like this early in your career?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmjbassplayer

I remember that festival like it was yesterday somehow.

How did I cope? I don't know, it wasn't nerve-wracking for me, I was just up for it. Acting like a maniac and entertaining were in my DNA from the start, so I guess I was just super excited when I finally got to play some massive shows.

7. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Do you ever have the feeling that it is the SMALLER shows that are more nerve racking than the huge ones? I’ve always felt WAY less stressed the times I’ve played for 25,000+ people compared to 25+. You get an experience that a large crowd is out in front of you, and there is a cool energy with that… But you can’t really see individual eyeballs and reactions like a small crowd.

8. jmjbassplayer

I love it all. And I love challenging ones sometimes more.

9. Subversiva

Subversiva

Where and when did you run into Beck after he became big?