How do I buy a bass on TB and not get scammed?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by benchpress11782, Mar 10, 2014.

1. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

Hello all. Considering buying the pedulla pentabass on here, but I don't know the process that I should take so I don't get scammed. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is in wrong thread.
  2. Journey55

Journey55

One of the biggest things is to check their feedback/the amount of posts, chances are if they are a common poster or have sold many things of high value then they aren't looking to scam people
  3. pudgychef

pudgychef

Folks here are decent and trustworthy - it is a positive community and RARE are the stories of 'buy/sell/trade issues'

Check the feedback of who you are dealing with - check the going rate for prices - and go into the deal with a positive attitude and expectations..may just be the way it reads to me but this thread seems to suggest a negative start to the whole process...if you go into any situation looking for problems - chances are you find them (imho, ime)

Paypal offers a great deal of protection - but I really don't think there are many scammers here on TB
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Well, there ARE some threads out there where people report getting scammed in the TB classifieds, so it's not as though such a thing is out of the question. But like others have said - check their feedback, and if you're really concerned ask for references. Also, groups like paypal do have some protection procedures in place to handle disputes, so familiarize yourself with those.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

Only asking because I got scammed pretty bad on craigslist before. So I just want to try and prevent that from happening again. Thank you all.
  7. jbednarski

jbednarski Supporting Member

I've bought about half a dozen instruments through TB. The two of that group that were bad experiences came from two very highly rated members. Go figure.
  8. Rob22315

Rob22315

Buy local if you can. That way you can at least visually inspect your purchase. I bought a combo off TB that way and was satisfied with my purchase.
  9. interp

interp Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I've bought and sold many times on TB and have never had anything less than a positive experience.

But, as they say, "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware).
  10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

That happened to me on three occasions .. although I can't say the experiences were totally bad .. but in one case .. the items were not new as advertised.. but used.. albeit slightly but they were not new as advertised.. in another the item was not fully functional.. as in the level indicator was not working .. but the item worked.. and on another I had to spend a bit more money to fix some things that I shouldn't have..

The bottom line is you always take a chance when you buy used gear sight unseen privately.. Having said that I would still buy used from TB before CL or eBay .. unless I could get my hands on the item to try it out first. Check their feedback rating and their posts.. You can learn a lot about a person by what they say in conversations.. For instance.. I read a post on here from a guy who said basically that he felt it was OK to rip off a place like GC .. because they could afford it... Well I'd never buy used gear from him.. but there is always some risk.
  11. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

OP, TB≠CL.

Get that one out of your head right now.

Talkbass is almost a professional association. CL is the rest of the world with no filter or regulation.

Caveat emptor. It is always up to the buyer to do one's due diligence and have realistic expectations. Honestly though, the very few complaints I've had with my transactions on TB have to do with weak packing.
  12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

My own experience has been extremely positive. My last TB purchase was Chef's (Now my very own) Nordstrand VJ5.

It helps if you know, and trust the guy you're dealing with (as much as one can know or trust an internet type friend).

What kind of feed back does the seller have?
  13. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

In addition to what others have said.

Use PayPal. They do offer SOME protection to purchases made outside of E-Bay. Read their information and make sure you are familiar with what they do and don't cover. If possible, pay with a credit/debit card through PayPal rather than a bank transfer. Some credit/debit cards offer protection also. I figure this is better than sending a check or money order.

Ask for specific photos and information on the bass. Its easy for someone to pull photos off of the internet and say its for sale. I always ask for specifics. If you are tech savvy enough, you can even extract the photo metadata and see when it was taken. If I ask for a specific photo on a certain date and it was taken a year before, I get a little leery.

I converse mostly by email so I have everything in writing. Before I wrap the transaction up, I do call at least once to make sure this person is legit.

Do your research. Get the persons full name and Google them. If I come across their Facebook page with a picture of them smoking a bong while holding the bass they are trying to sell me, I'll probably pass.

Trust your gut. If something feels wrong or fishy, pass on it.
  14. Immigrant

Immigrant

15. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Moved to Classifieds Usage Discussion
  16. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I have purchased and sold more than a dozen items here on Talk Bass. Every situation has worked out just fine. Have there been some bumps along the way? Yes! but, in general, the folks here are very reasonable. Keep an open line of communication both as the buyer and the seller. Good luck!
  17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Feedback is definitely important. But if it's a big purchase like a bass or an amp, it's always a good idea to talk to the person via phone. I like to do that whether I'm buying OR selling. If selling, I like to give the buyer an opportunity to ask specific questions they might have. Sure, you can do that via PM or email, but it's nice to get a "feel" for people on the phone.

I've had very good experiences here on TB. But do your homework on the gear in question. Think about questions you might have and write them down so you don't forget to ask. Less potential for negative surprises that way. But buying and selling on this site has always been positive for me.
  18. goran

goran

Unfortunately, feedback and number of posts mean nothing. Of all transactions I had on talkbass, the only one where I had problems was when I bought a preamp from a very active member on this forum. I think he even endorsed a big name amp brand and is now very "in love" with a new brand of cabinets.
    I got the preamp 3 MONTHS after I payed via paypal. You wouldn't believe the amount of excuses I heard in the meantime. Once I got the preamp, it turned out it was fried so I needed to repair it. Needless to say, he never apologized to me.

That said, every other transaction here went as smooth as possible. Use paypal and you'll have nothing to be worried about.
  19. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I have bought 2 & sold one bass on TB, plus I've bought/sold/traded lots of effects, pup, etc ...

My experiences have all been positive. I think feedback is def important but certainly not foolproof. Look at some of the form post of the person your thinking of dealing with. You can usually tell really quick if the person is a tool or not & definitely talk in person if its a higher dollar transaction like a bass .... its harder for a tool to hide on the phone :)

I will say TB is about the sanest form I've ever been on.... usually :)
  20. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Why didn't you leave negative feedback for this transaction?
  21. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Again, why no negative feedback for these transactions?