1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How Do I Check For A Bad Driver?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Thumper, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I have an inconsistent rattle in one of my SWR Goliath III 410s. I want to sell them but I want to fix first if there is a problem.

Running an Eden WT300 into 2 410s, either 4 or 5 strings, very inconsistent rattle, almost a scraping sound. No high volume used these days as it is a practice rig used in a 3 piece band.

2. chadds

chadds

I replaced the Celestions in my BBII because the speaker lead the copper one from the lugs to the cone was touching the cone.

Made a brrr brrr sound like a blown speaker. It's okay. I discovered LDS long throws for the BBII & a Celestion went in the LA-8 which made it a monster.:)

3. chadds

chadds

Put fingers out surrounding cone and push in. If you feel a scrape or roughness it's the voice coil. Needs a recone. Or just play it louder on a band that likes that kinda thing.:)

4. Thumper

Ok I can check the leads and push in coils. I was hoping some kind of continuity or resistance check could be done

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    My tech found the bad speaker in my 73 Super Reverb that passed the push-in test by plugging each one separately up to a sine wave generator with a freq sweep.

7. Thumper

Thanks Mr M, but that is a little above my meager electronic capabilities/gear. :)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Sounds harder than it is.

9. Thumper

You are, of course, right. I think there are a few techs around these parts with the gear. I will check it out.

Happy New Year to all my Talkbass brothers & sisters.

10. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman

A meter will show you if the voice coil is still intact, but will not reveal voice coil rub. Sometimes, glue may let go on the cone (not your description) or on the spider (which could cause your symptoms.) The freq sweep is good. Playing low tones through the speaker alone, out of the box can often reveal the same.

I've repaired a lot of speakers that were rubbing due to the adhesive holding the magnet to the frame breaking loose. With all of them (10" Alnico speakers, and some 15" bass speakers) I could move the magnet slightly. In one position, the coil would rub. In the other it would be fine. I used an industrial ceramic epoxy forced between the magnet and frame and they were good to go.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Keep your eyes peeled - bad drivers are everywhere! :D

12. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I know they get sent here for the winter :D

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

We call 'em Snowbirds!! :bag:

Nah, that's not fair we older folk ain't necessarily bad drivers. :)

14. chadds

chadds

Our parents got around in one-wheel drive '40s Fords, etc. and they aren't still stuck in the snow......

Now I've heard some bad speakers in my time. Let's see...after Kennedy it was a sad show for awhile...:)