How do I fix this neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Murmaider, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Murmaider

Murmaider

Is this even possible to fix? The fretboard is off of the wood a little bit, and I don't even know how to get glue into this crack deep enough, I can't really bend it open or anything. Help! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390946928.837007.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390946940.951479.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390946956.289022.jpg

2. Murmaider

Murmaider

3. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Bummer man, that's the dreaded scarf joint delamination. The scarf comes loose and slips forward and pushed the fretboard out, now the only way to fix it properly is to pop off the fretboard with heat and a little steam, separate the scarf and find a way to clean the old glue off and reglue. It's gonna be a tough one and you can't use wood glue this time because the fibers are probably already full of it from the last time. Super glue or marine epoxy may be your only choice. The truss rod might be hung up from that damage too, so you'll want to check that that's free moving and make sure not to get your glue in there and jam anything up.
    Is it an inexpensive bass? I would trash that neck if it's not a really sentimental bass or some vintage or expensive piece. Stuff like that you can't even just clamp back together and hope for a few emergency gigs, since the headstock has moved down into the neck

4. EricssonB

EricssonB

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Possible? Yes. Worth the time and money? Probably not.

The glue joint between the head stock and the rest of the neck has failed completely. To fix that the right way you'll need to remove the fretboard, repair it, then separate the head from the neck, clean off the failed glue, reinforce it (probably) and re-glue it all back together.

Do you have a steam injector and a clamping neck jig?

edit: Rabithamster beat me to it and has a really good point about the potential for the truss rod being damaged.

7. Murmaider

Murmaider

Well it's my bandmates, as his new bassist he gave me his old ****** bass and said all I had to do was repair it, but from the looks of it I should just buy another lol.

This was gonna be my 2nd bass so I'd have a different bass to play and get the feel of (it has the 2 sort of overlapping pickups as opposed to my Ibanez that just has 2 straight pickups on top of eachother), I thought it'd be cool an maybe have a different sound.

8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

If the body and pickups are decent enough you can keep the tuners and get a used neck on evilbay, you can get them under $50 bucks sometimes if you just need a cheap backup bass. It's easy enough to modify a neck pocket if it's a little off in width, just make sure you get the right scale length.

It would be easier buying another fully assembled and known working bass, if you do that try taking the parts minus the broken neck to trade in at a used gear shop if you have any in the area. Little mom and pop vintage used boutiques tend to keep a whole pile of parts

9. pfox14

pfox14

This is exactly why I hate scarf joints. Might not be worth it to fix the break. Try to find a bass with a one-piece solid neck.

10. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    Epoxy. I´ve done it and the guitar (yes, it was a guitar) is still running strong after couple of years.

11. adi77

adi77 Banned

once i used some araldite and muslin cloth and some books ( heavy ones to keep the broken part of the neck (near the head) snug after cleaning, then sticking and binding it ) to fix a nylon string gat.. can't tune it to E though.. Eb or D.. it took 3 days.. but it is still playable

12. adi77

adi77 Banned

mean but hahahahahaha

13. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Not worth repairing; strip the gears for another project. I've seen way too many of these joints fail.

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

I"ve done it too. Only my favorite is Gorilla glue. I prefer that because you don't have to worry about an improper mix and it not setting up right and secondly it foams and expands to fill any voids if you can't get the parts to fit back together perfectly.

Contrary to myth you DO NOT want wood glue for this. You NEVER want to take this apart again! Hence mode permenant glue like Gorilla or Epoxy.

The key to fix or not, involves just two questions. The first is can you somehow force the broken wood pieces back together in a reasonable perfect fit? Think using LOTS of clamps to hold it all in place back where it was. You can never use too many clamps for this.

And secondly you have to ask if you can get glue into the crack where the wood is broken. It's OK to spring the wood apart to get glue in there and then shove it back and clamp it to set up. Think pushing glue in with thin knife blades, thin wires (guitar strings) or anything that can work the glue down to where it's needed.

IF the answer to these two questions is a reasonable "yes" then go for it. What have you got to lose anyway? If the fix fails it was trash anyway. I've been playing my guitar with the fixed neck for years now.

Good luck!

15. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I don't think its worth fixing, but thats just me. What I would do is take all the hardware and electronics out of it that work (bridge, tuners, pickups, pots,) and save them. If its a bolt on neck you could even just unbolt the body and bolt it onto a different neck and make a poject out of it. But that neck my friend, is toast.

:smug:

16. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    ^^^^What he said.

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yup. Save the components and maybe (I use 'maybe' very loosely) the body for something down the road...or sell them to put funds toward a proper bass. The repair by a pro would probably cost triple what the bass is worth and to do it yourself would cost...well...triple what the bass is worth. Salvage what you can and move on. On the up side, you got a handful of free parts to mess with and practice your soldering skills:)