1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

how do I get a gritty, crisp tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by twangman, Jan 20, 2014.

1. twangman

twangman

May 8, 2010
    I'm looking for a gritty tone similar to Rick Lopez of the Casualties, or similar to Matt Freeman.
    A good example can be heard here: http://youtu.be/rScfrBoLVNg

So far I've been plugging my Geddy directly into my recorder and it sounds plain and dull.

2. rratajski

rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Do you have a tube amp? If so, turn up the gain. Flat or below flat bass, medium high mids. Roundwound strings.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    My Hartke Attack VXL pedal is both gritty and crisp. Some like that tone, others do not. I can only report what my ears tell me.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

We need more details. Flats or rounds? Tube, SS or hybrid? Any pedals you are working with or have?? Pick or finger player?? These are bigger details I can think that would help us get you where you want to be.

7. P Bass, pick, tone control wide open, and plenty of hi mids.

8. twangman

twangman

May 8, 2010
    Mmbongo pretty much nailed it. That B3k is out of my price range. Anyone have any experience with the behringer BOD400?
    I've been using a pick and ernie ball super slinkys.

9. twangman

twangman

May 8, 2010
    Also, could a pedal do the same job as a DI box? I'm completely new to this guys :-/

10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

You may want to check out the preamps tech 21 makes, the VT and or BDDI (bass driver DI) or a darkglass B7K. If a B3K is out of your price range then the 7 will be too. But it's something to think about down the road. The 7 can do aggressive and modern to warm and vintage. It's worth the money. Totally. A fulltone OCD is good for what you describe as is a joyo ultimate drive. The latter being a $35 pedal.

11. roto 66 strings and a tube amp.

If tube amp isn't an option, some kind of preamp as suggested above.