How do I get a raw bass tone?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by devinp17, Mar 17, 2014.

1. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone could help me with getting a raw sound from my bass. I'm a finger-style bassist, and I'm currently playing a Squier Precision Bass Special (P/J) along with a Traynor BLOC 80B... very simple combo amp.(Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass). I'll be getting an Electro-Harmonix Steel Leather Bass Expander Pedal soon as I ordered it a few days ago. So does anyone have some suggestions? New amp, another pedal, different bass maybe? I might be getting the Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass because I know that the middle switch setting sounds really nice and raw!

Any help is appreciated! :) Thanks!
  2. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    What does "raw" mean to you?
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

+1, maybe an example of the tone you're trying to emulate?
  4. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

I wanna get kinda like a Fender Jazz Bass Special type sound...
    That's the rawest sounding bass I've ever heard... I have the P/J pickups but I don't know what else...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

You mean one of the 80s ones like Duff McKagan played? Friend, there is no such thing as "the" Fender Jazz Special "sound." It has two pickups and a tone control - you can get lots of different sounds out of it. So you've still given us no idea what you actually mean by "raw."

If you want Duff McKagan's tone, or that of someone else who uses that particular bass, tell us so, and maybe someone knows what else they use in their rig. Or if you have a youtube video or sound clip of the tone you want, share that and people may have ideas how to get it. Not much we can say without more information.
  7. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

The Rickenbacker 4003 is pretty knarly sounding. So is a Fender Precision or Jazz that has a maple fingerboard, with very low action.
  8. nightwulf

nightwulf

Don't boil your strings?
  9. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

play naked
  10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

This sounds snarky, but I don't mean it that way: Practice more and worry about gear less. You can find your sound with your fingers so long as you have half decent gear. No pedals, no gimmicks - FINGERS.
  11. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

don't cook it
  12. Jensby design

Jensby design

Code:
    [size=+2][FONT=Book Antiqua]THIS      IS     [COLOR=Orange]GOLD[/COLOR][/FONT][/size]
  13. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

:meh: I'm disappointed EH would even market such silliness.
    Keep your strings clean and learn to use your fingers and your amp controls.
  14. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

I was going to suggest the Steel Leather pedal because that is the rawest signal I've ever gotten. . . but you're doing that.

So I have nothing else to suggest!
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  16. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Clanky high mids are "raw" now?
  17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Wow is that a cool sound thanks for sharing that I want one also.
  18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Put on new strings and disconnect pedals between you and the amp. That's as "raw" as it gets....whateverinhell "raw" means.
  19. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    + 1 San Diego Harry, I've searched the world over when all along it was in my hands the whole time. But the answer you are seeking would be in a set of Lindy Fralin precision style pickups...
  20. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

I don't consider it a clanky high mid the way I have it set on my board. . .I use it for my Sabbath tone. I actually call it "raw".
  21. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

+1
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/raw

By definition, 'raw' is in it's natural state. It doesn't make sense, saying something altered or run through an effect is 'raw'. I think a better description is in order.