1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How do I get a slight bass buzz?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SuperRich, Jan 3, 2014.

1. SuperRich

SuperRich

I want a fuzz effect like The Killers-On top. And Imagine Dragons-Working man. Iv tried making the sound on a cheap boss pedal. And iv tried out a big muff. No luck. They all sound so aggressive and messy. I just want abit of synthy buzz with the bass:/

I can't really test any. Just YouTube them and decide if I like the sound. And suggestions for that type of tone ?
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Try a fuzz with a clean blend.

Also, some fuzz pedals are crazy expensive, so you REALLY need to state the max price you could pay.
  3. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Take a look at the Devi Ever Year of the Rat.
  4. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

With a few weeks with this pedal under my belt, I would suggest the Smallsound/ Bigsound TAFM. I have tried a lot of fuzz pedals, and almost all of them go from zero to full face melt with a small turn of the drive knob. The TAFM has the greatest low drive fuzz feel. I was shocked. You can find a used one in the classifieds at almost any time.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

4.9 beers. 5 is too much.

Seriously though, what amp and bass are you running?
  6. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

+1
  7. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I listened to the tune you mentioned. What I hear is mostly light overdrive with heavy overdrive/distortion on the chorus. I can see why you wouldn't like the Big Muff. Definitely looser, less defined than O/D. Big Muff is good for that wall of sound effect where hearing individual notes is not as important as the sonic effect. For your purposes I would look for a light/medium overdrive pedal. There are tons to choose from. So finding the right one for you can be difficult.

Some suggestions:
    TAFM: (Good suggestion by others here). it is a fuzz that can also act as mild overdrive. Tight, modern, very flexible.
    Dredgetone Angler: Tight, grindy, unusual eq with low-mid and hi-mid bump. Blends well with overdriven guitar
    Blacksheep Effectors Outlaw: Similar to Dredgetone but a little more polite. Sits very well in mix with either a low mid or hi-mid bump depending on settings.
    Cusak Screamer Fuzz Bass: Exceptional sounding and flexible pedal. O/D is tube screamer style but without the annoying overly compressed part. Three clipping types that really change the sound. Fuzz is tight, but not at tight as the TAFM. You can blend screamer and fuzz. The resulting light overdrive into fuzz sound is awesome. Really retains the basses fundamental tone with perhaps a mild, smooth upper mid presence added. Top end is open and clear but never harsh. (That alone is a small miracle IMO)

8. stinky634

stinky634 Supporting Member

Regarding the Dredgetone Angler, it sounds a bit different than a standard OD but it cuts through like no other. Full disclosure I do have one in the classifieds, check out reviews of it.
  9. noahw1

noahw1

I would suggest the Way Huge Pork Loin. Some people claim it is "dark" sounding but in my experience it isn't at all. It's a terrific light OD pedal that keeps all your lows and sounds incredible in a band mix.
  10. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

By drinking a few bass beer.
  11. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

As mentionned above, a fuzz with a blend, or your Muff with a blend pedal such as the Boss LS-2. Another option, if don't want to spend too much: the Digitech BassDriver, which has a blend.
  12. winterburn69

winterburn69

I read On Top and played the bassline for Believe Me Natalie in my head, and I was like "there's no fuzz!" lol. Hot Fuss is such a great album.

Yeah, fuzz with a clean blend would do it, the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe is pretty popular around here. MXR makes quality stuff.
  13. SuperRich

SuperRich

Thanks for the suggestion everyone! I'll have a look online and see which ones are around! England seems to lack a lot of the smaller pedals.

I play a fender precision standard and have a GK 1001. I'm guessing that a good buzz would be easier on a bass with a bridge pick up?

Thanks again people!
  14. SuperRich

SuperRich

I just realised I meant the Andy You're A Star bass line! Sorry lol. But thanks people.