1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How do I get my strings closer to the fret board.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Newbie101, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Newbie101

Newbie101

How do I get my strings closer to the fret board.
    I just bought a new Ibanez TR bass from a pawn shop. And, as compared to my old bass, These strings are like a mile from the fretboard. How do I remedy? Oh yea, and would you tell me that I got ripped off if I told you that I bought that bass for 200$ It's in real good shape. Everything's in good shape from what I can tell.

Thanks
  2. Taurus

Taurus

I'm not familiar with the Ibanez line so I couldn't tell you whether the price was good or not.If you're happy with it,that's all that matters.There should be adjustments screws[allen screws] on each saddle that the strings rest on top of down at the bridge.These can adjust each saddle up or down individually.My advice would be to take it to the best bass technician in town,pay him an hours labour,and have him set the bass up to it's maximum playability.It should make a big difference in the way your bass feels and plays.As you get more experience,you'll be able to do at least some of this work yourself.
  3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

You can do it yourself if you want, it's just a matter of getting them even and tuning it back up.

Although, since you're a newbie you might wanna have a tech do it for you, that way it's definatly perfect.
  4. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

Actually, you dont want them even. They should (for the most part) imitate the curvature (radius) of the fretboard at the bridge. If it was flat, the lowest and highest strings would be much farther off than the middle strings. But, by saying he just has to lower them doesnt help him.

check out www.bassplayer.com , they have some good online articles on setup, changing strings, etc.
  5. Bad Ass Bass

Bad Ass Bass Banned User

deffinetly take it to a tech.also see if you can find the person who owned it before they may have adjusted the action for a reason. Or worst case, the neck may be bent out(this is bad) if the strings are close to the board near the 1-4 frets, far away at the 5-15, then close again at the end then its bent.but anyway take it to the shop they'll know.
  6. dancehallclasher

dancehallclasher

my friend has an old ibanez with a broken truss rod, and i've never seen strings so high. if that's the problem with yours, you've been screwed.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    You get a piece of medium guage fishing line and tie it around the neck and strings at the 14th fret. Tighten it till the strings are as close as you want them to be to the fretboard, then staple the fishing line to the back of the neck.
  8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

What the hell are you talking about!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA
    ;)