How do I get rid of a metallic ringing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LongHairFreak, Jan 12, 2014.

1. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold Gold Supporting Member

Hey Folks

My G&L L2500 Tribute PUs transmit a metallic ring upon every tap/bump to the bass. Whether I tap the body or a piece of hardware, it just rings out. Even worse, when I flip a switch on the electronics, a very definite 'PING' is heard.

Is there a fix for this I haven't been able to find?

Thanks TB
  2. freatles

freatles

You mean its microphonic (if you know what I mean)? Or just the usual hot pickup + strings ringing?

There's always noise gate, like ISP Decimator.
  3. LongHairFreak

Unsure really. I'm plenty used to hot pickups. I own a Darkstar and I have a USA L2500 pu in another bass and I've heard nothing like this on those basses.

I forgot to mention that it's only when the neck pu is involved. Is this a microphonic thing? I've not heard a pu in such a state.
  4. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Just an idea, try adjusting the neck pickup height to factory specs. I have had a bass do this to me after changing strings, the fresh and bright sounds are easily picked up and will cause this type of effect.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. freatles

freatles

7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Dunno about the Tributes, but a lot of USA G&L's had the "spring ping" issue. Easy fix if that's the cause.

Pull the pickups out, insert a small piece if rubber/foam into the support springs in the pickup cavity. Problem solved. I've done the procedure a dozen times.

It seems that when BBE took over at G&L they forgot to add the little chunk of rubber to the springs. The earlier G&L's all had the spring dampener included. Without a dampener, some G&L basses are virtually unplayable because of the pinging noise. It varies bass to bass. Good luck, hope this helps.
  8. LongHairFreak

Well, it was a return item, so it's possible PU height had been tampered with. What I noticed is that all pole pieces are down as far as they are able. Is that factory spec?.
  9. LongHairFreak

Templar: Thanks man! I'll check that. A 'spring ping' is exactly what it sounds like.

Freatles: I'm unsure of what you mean. Pic Heavy?
  10. LongHairFreak

Cool! Put a thin piece of non-deteriorating closed cell foam (dampening each end of the springs) under each pu and the bass is as quiet as it should be.

Again, thanks!