1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

How do I get rid of a metallic ringing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LongHairFreak, Jan 12, 2014.

1. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Hey Folks

My G&L L2500 Tribute PUs transmit a metallic ring upon every tap/bump to the bass. Whether I tap the body or a piece of hardware, it just rings out. Even worse, when I flip a switch on the electronics, a very definite 'PING' is heard.

Is there a fix for this I haven't been able to find?

Thanks TB

2. freatles

freatles

Jan 9, 2014
    Helsinki
    You mean its microphonic (if you know what I mean)? Or just the usual hot pickup + strings ringing?

There's always noise gate, like ISP Decimator.

3. LongHairFreak

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Unsure really. I'm plenty used to hot pickups. I own a Darkstar and I have a USA L2500 pu in another bass and I've heard nothing like this on those basses.

I forgot to mention that it's only when the neck pu is involved. Is this a microphonic thing? I've not heard a pu in such a state.

4. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Just an idea, try adjusting the neck pickup height to factory specs. I have had a bass do this to me after changing strings, the fresh and bright sounds are easily picked up and will cause this type of effect.

5. Sponsored by:

6. freatles

freatles

Jan 9, 2014
    Helsinki
  7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Dr Moreau's Island
    Dunno about the Tributes, but a lot of USA G&L's had the "spring ping" issue. Easy fix if that's the cause.

Pull the pickups out, insert a small piece if rubber/foam into the support springs in the pickup cavity. Problem solved. I've done the procedure a dozen times.

It seems that when BBE took over at G&L they forgot to add the little chunk of rubber to the springs. The earlier G&L's all had the spring dampener included. Without a dampener, some G&L basses are virtually unplayable because of the pinging noise. It varies bass to bass. Good luck, hope this helps.

8. LongHairFreak

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Well, it was a return item, so it's possible PU height had been tampered with. What I noticed is that all pole pieces are down as far as they are able. Is that factory spec?.

9. LongHairFreak

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Templar: Thanks man! I'll check that. A 'spring ping' is exactly what it sounds like.

Freatles: I'm unsure of what you mean. Pic Heavy?

10. LongHairFreak

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Cool! Put a thin piece of non-deteriorating closed cell foam (dampening each end of the springs) under each pu and the bass is as quiet as it should be.

Again, thanks!