How do I get the "new" smell out of a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassinplace, Feb 7, 2014.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Hello! I just got a brand new American Standard P, and the Styrofoam that lines the inside of the case reeks to high hell! It permeates the bass also. I might as well be putting my head into a vat of chemicals and inhaling the fumes. It can't be healthy. Any tips on how to get rid of this smell? Any help is greatly appreciated! :) :help: Edit: (I know, no pics, no bass. So for your satisfaction, here are the pics! http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/...a-mystic-red-p-brand-new-priced-sell-1035567/ )

2. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

My new Am Std P's case had that too. I could smell it from across the room. A weird faint chemical smell. It never really stuck with the bass itself, if it did it faded away quickly. I just keep the case shut and it either went away or I no longer notice it.

Love the case though! I recommend that you go around with a screwdriver to make sure each screw is snug.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Put the case open outside for a day (in the shade, when it's sunny).

4. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I like that smell....what's wrong with you?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    1. Drink as many 40 OZ malt liquors as you possibly can hold. Then have one more.

2. Vomit into bass case. Close case.

3. Wait 24-72 hours. New bass smell guaranteed to be gone.

7. David Grunigen

David Grunigen

Exactly, Jah. Once the inside of the case smells like spilled beer and bar dirt, you may be wishing the new bass smell was back....

8. bassinplace

bassinplace

This isn't a faint smell at all. It's somewhat overpowering. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it, I dunno.

I dunno. I'm not much of a huffer, I guess. *shrug* :p

Sounds like a domestic dispute. Don't make me call the cops on you! :p

I don't gig much, so that won't be a concern for me. Not anytime soon, at least.

One constructive answer. Thank you, sir. :)

9. MD

MD

Put a wet sneaker and 3 hard boiled eggs in the case and bury it under a chicken coop for 17 days. Done.

10. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    So the 'constructive advice' you were earnestly in search of was "open the case and allow to air out?"

Gotcha -- and sorry for the snark. I realize now that this was a challenge worthy of a brain trust -- nay, a whole think tank.

11. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

you could leave the case open so your cat can examine the smell. lol

or put a potato in the case and it will absorb the odor.

12. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Play the hell out of it. Or, if you want a quicker fix, try a scented instrument polish (I like the smell of Ken Smith Pro Formula). Or Lemon Pledge, for that citrus-fresh scent (TM).

13. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

A box of baking soda will do that, too.

14. bassinplace

bassinplace

Snark away, if that's what you were doing, I don't care. Yes, open the case and let it air out is an obvious solution. The part about doing it outside on a sunny day in the shade was helpful. I was just looking to hear other people's experiences on the most efficient way to eliminate the problem. Not a crisis, just looking for household hints, that's all.

15. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

If leaving it outside open doesn't work, then goto post #5... or sell it and buy a used one that smells like post #5 will make it smell...

16. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

+1 for opening it up and leaving it outside. If it was me , I'd leave it in the sun ,although that might fade the color. That's probably why Munji said to do it in the shade. Also , sticking a dryer sheet in it might help a bit.

17. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I have de-stunk a few cars and guitar cases. I have tried baking soda, fresh coffee grounds, scented little odor removing gel packets, and Fabreeze. Most of these things "sorta worked for a while", but not really long term. I assume the baking soda and coffee absorb the stink. The chemicals like Fabreeze mostly just punch your nose so hard with perfume that you can't smell anything but the perfume. They don't really do anything about the rotting fish carcass generating the stink. This is analogous to making an ugly person beautiful by putting a giant searchlight behind them so you are blinded and cannot see the ugly person. This does not make them beautiful, it just stops you from perceiving their ugliness.

Stuff stinks because it is shedding particulate yuck into the air. These particles are as real as dust and dirt, just tiny and you can't see it. The particles of yuck are floating off in the air and being sucked into your nose.

The only ways to stop stink are:

1. Remove the part that stinks. Wash it or throw it away. Sometimes you can shampoo the cat pee stink out of a carrpet. Sometimes you gotta throw the carpet away and install new.

2. Bind it in so it doesn't shed off. Sometimes the cat pee has soaked all the way into the wood flooring and it stinks right through the new carpet. So you re-finish the wood to seal the stink in.

3. Allow it to completely shed off the yuck particles. Unfortunately this takes time, but the cars and cases I have de-stunk didn't respond to cleaning or chemicals. Only time, heat, and moving air have provided long lasting results. I believe this is because the item simply runs out of stink. So yeah, leave it open, outside, for a few days. Maybe accelerate it by aiming a fan at it.

18. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

put a potato in the case and it will absorb the odor.

This is actually a good idea...forgot all about baking soda

19. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

By the way, that smell of stale beer and cigarettes...
    THAT IS THE SMELL OF ROCK AND ROLL!

I was so disappointed years back when I bought a new Mesa Boogie amp. Great amp, but when it warmed up IT DIDN'T STINK PROPERLY! Recently I was given a 1953 Magnatone Melodier. Not so awesome of an amp, but when those tubes get hot and 60 years of cigarettes and beer start rolling out into the air...

20. Immigrant

Immigrant

If all else fails, put the bass in the case (it won't work unless the bass is IN the case) and send it to me. I goll darn guarantee you'll never smell that odor again from that bass or case.

:D

21. pedroims

pedroims

Do like me, take out the bass, put it in a stand during the week for practice at home, use a gig bag to take it to gig or band rehearsal :D