1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How do I get the sound Ron Ficarro gets?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassPlummet, Feb 13, 2014.

1. BassPlummet

BassPlummet

Hey everyone, not sure if this goes here or not, sorry.

Anyway! I would like to try and get the same kind of sound that Ron Ficarro gets in Falling In Reverse. If you want to know what I am talking about check THIS out and skip to about 2:30 if you don't like the band.

I could be wrong, but it sounds overdriven?

2. jking138

jking138

Buy a sansamp put it in front of an ampeg, most any bass will do. Not the most original tone in the world, its pretty standard for a lot of metal/punk/hardcore/......core/.......core music.

3. BassPlummet

BassPlummet

I am aware that it is not the most original tone, I just really like it and I happen to play post-hardCORE music xD

Thanks for the reply and help :)

4. jking138

jking138

No problem. There are plenty of other drive pedals, the MXR M80 is similar to the sansamp (not the same, but similar mid scoop), boss ODB3, go and try lots, find your tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassPlummet

BassPlummet

I actually have the Aguilar AGRO.
    At the moment I got a sort of growl to it, but the tone I am really looking for is similar to my OP.

7. jking138

jking138

Ok, fair enough. Its going to be a little tricky to get the exact tone, there are alot of different elements to it, but I'm sure you can get fairly close.

8. BassPlummet

BassPlummet

Do you have a link that explains how to get certain kinds of tones by any chance? I don't know if it's just my poor search engine skills or what, but I'm not having much luck with the search.

9. jking138

jking138

The best way to get the tones you want is to understand your equipment and how to use it. Understanding how to EQ will help enormously as well. Start reading, there are tons of threads on here explaining EQ, some have graphs like the link below. There are characteristics associated with certain frequencies, for example, boomy bass is around 200hz, clanky is around 5khz, etc. Knowing this will help you achieve the tones you want, improve your sound and solve problems at venues playing live.
    It might get a little boring, heavy going, confusing but its need-to-know stuff for bass.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f203/making-most-31-band-eq-1020028/

You should get to know what gear the bassists you like use. And then get to know the gear as they will have specific characteristics as well, for example the sansamp has a scoop at about 750hz and a certain sound distortion, so when you listen to people you will begin to recognize what they are using. Therefore how to achieve the tones. Cutting and boosting frequencies slightly can change tone quite a lot, it might be the long way to learn but its the best. Even having the same gear will not necessarily mean you'll have the same tone.
    Sorry long post.

10. BassPlummet

BassPlummet

Don't be sorry! That wasn't a long post, that was an awesome post!

Thank you! You have helped quite a bit. Thanks for the link too.

11. jking138

jking138

No problem, happy I could help.