How do I get this sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SPB, Feb 3, 2013.

1. SPB

SPB

After playing drums for many, many years, I'm getting ready to come out the front and play bass and sing.

I want to get this sound but not sure how:

It's a Steinberger in the video, live footage also shows Rick Grossman playing one and the sound is the same.

However, after listening to Steinberger L2 sounds, they don't sound like his with that nice mid range growl.

Is it lots of fret buzz I hear on that track?

BTW, I have a '79 Kramer DMZ5000 which has a nice sound but doesn't have the "growl" I'm after.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Any bass with fresh strings will get you close.
    The clank comes from strings hitting the frets but it comes naturally, non eed to force it.

3. SPB

SPB

I don't hear a clank. It's sort of gritty, gravely....hard to define but you hear it good at 00:19 - 00:23 and 01:41 - 01:56.

What I love about it is that it just cuts through the mix.
    Great bass lines as well, of course.

4. wagdog

wagdog Supporting Member

That almost sounds like a Ric with a touch of OD and lots of compression. Cool song. Thanks for reminding me that not all of the '80s were horrid.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SPB

SPB

Yeah, some of the 80's was pretty good. A lot of songs were centered around the bass lines back then.

Anyway, am I hearing on that track; a Steinberger L2 with very low action / fret buzz?

7. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

A Bass Driver or VT bass would get that pretty well.

8. unclejane

unclejane Guest

You can get this with a Steinberger, run both pickups together and use a pick.

But I agree with the other guys, don't spend a lot of money trying to get this sound (the L2's are expensive and hard to find nowadays!). Almost any fretted bass with single-coil pickups and a pick will give this sound or close to it.

Big hefty humbuckers will be more midbassey and throaty, so single coils are probably preferred. Both PU's together and a pick is the key...

LS