1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How do the big blocks compare to the new light-weights?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Discharge, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Discharge

Discharge

Does anyone have both a big tube amp like the SVT CL/VR/PRO-2, Trace Elliot V6/V8 or Marshall VBA400 and one of the new breed of small form amps like the GK MB800...etc and can describe how they compare.

I assume the big boys still slay everything when it gets deep/big bass... but I also assume the gap is starting to close?
  2. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

It's not necessarily deep big bass, its the overall harmonic content that an all tube head produces.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Also, most of those amps you listed are going to be way more attenuated down low due to the specs of their OT's. There are SS amps like that GK MB800 that I would say are bigger down low than most tube amps.

It is also about the cabs you use.
  4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

I always associated all tube amps with an organic, fluffy, blooming feel. Depth has little to do with it.