1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How do we get to the gig economically?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WCHIII, Jan 6, 2013.

1. WCHIII

WCHIII

Im driving a jeep wrangler Sahara 4WD to gigs. I take the back seat out and can haul my entire drum kit or my bass rig. Im getting 16 mpg. I have to drive over two hours most of the time for the new band Im in. NO, I dont want to move! Im thinking of maybe a Dodge Grand Caravan with the stow and go seating but they only get around 24-26 mpg on the highway. Is there anything out there we can haul our gear in thats getting in the 30-35 mpg range?:crying:

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I get over 30mpg when loaded with gear in this thing:

[​IMG]

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

I'm right there with Pacman. I have an '06 Scion xB and can attest to the amazing amount of room that this little car has as well as great mileage for a standard gas semi-high performance engine. Always 30 mpg and above average. I've hauled for example, Ampeg 8-10s, Acoustic 301s, Peavey 2-15 cabs along with comparable heads, 2 basses, music stand, guitar stand, gig bag, change of clothes and more. An amazing vehicle. :cool:

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

I'm having a difficult time figuring out how spending $20K on a new vehicle is a more economic approach.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joedog

Joedog

Our '07 Toyota Matrix is basically a Corolla with a 5 door hatchback body. W/split folding rear seat, lots of options for gear/people. Not quite as much room as the Scion, but plenty for our needs (and lots more than a Jeep). W/5 speed manual trans., we average (combined) around 37MPG, and have done over 40 several times! Over 75K miles, nary a hiccup. Pretty cheap to own (new was $15K), and great resale. Can you tell we are happy?

7. spade2you

spade2you

I've been using a RAV4 since '05 and it gets about 26mpg in AWD. I think the newer engines get slightly better MPG.

8. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

In terms of fuel efficeincy and cargo capacity, I think the Honda Fit has to be the champ. My friend can put two full-suspension mountain bikes, two sets of spare wheels, a cooler, tent, and a weekend's worth of camping gear for two people inside hers.

9. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I used to own a Toyota RAV4 front wheel drive. Took the back seats out. Got about 28 mpg on the highway. Now have a Subaru Outback. Plenty of room with the back seats folded down. Gets about 29 mpg on the highway and drives well in the snow. However, for the best combination of room and mpg I think you'll be hard pressed to beat that Scion posted above.

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

RAV 4, 2 wheel drive 29 MPG. I average 26 MPG.
    4 wheel drives are all lousy on MPG.
    Jetta diesel gets up to 50 MPG.
    The wagon has a lot of room in the back.

11. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I've got a Honda CR V (2wd model). I can get my bass rig & a drum kit in there easily. And on the highway I can get 27+ mpg.

12. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

The key to the Fit is the way the rears seats can fold down, or up. Before I put two baby seats in mine, I could fit a double bass, Aguilar GS112, 4 space rack, two electric basses, and a suitcase with cables, guitar stands, etc. in mine and still have room for a passenger.

With the baby seats in there, there isn't much room for gear. :meh:

I get close to 35 MPG on the highway.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The OP needs to calculate his money spent on gas driving to gigs with his current rig, then figure out what the price of another vehicle is, and then calculate what the reduced price of gas will be driving it....and how long it would take the gas savings to pay for the cost of the newer car.

My guess is that he will probably have to drive the newer car 10+ years to get his money back in gas savings. Of course, the odds are that long before then he won't be making such a long drive to gig.

In other words, chances are very good that it's not economically worthwhile changing vehicles based on gas savings. There may be other reasons to do so if his current vehicle is aging or unreliable.

14. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog Supporting Member

bingo,,,

i drive a Ford Explorer, i don't know ( or really even care ) what kind of gas mileage it gets, but it ain't too bad, when the needle gets down to a 1/4 i puts gas in it.

i thought about getting something more fuel efficient a couple of years back, but then i stayed with what i got.

it's paid for, & say i run $300. in fuel thru it a month, ya, i could get another ride & have $400.+ a month payments,, & maybe my monthly fuel costs might drop to $ $200. a mo.

no thanks, i'll roll this till it don't roll no more

15. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    2000 Maxima. Not very fuel efficient though. Maybe 18-20mpg. I can get my full rig plus a couple mains or monitors if I need to. Another speaker cab in the front passenger seat. micro amps and speaker stands on the floor areas. Plenty of trunk space for accessories. I do a lot of driving though and desire a much more fuel efficient vehicle. Just can't afford to buy anything right now. At least my car is paid for.

17. AaronMB

AaronMB

When I read the title of your post before reading anything else I immediately thought, " I hope he's not driving a Wrangler!" :D

I totally love mine but not its MPG. I feel ya on the commute, bro.

18. VigierUSA

VigierUSA Supporting Member

+1 for the Fit... My guitar player just got one and it's really nice. Much bigger inside than I expected.

I drive a FWD Element. I get ~30 mpg unloaded and about 27 packed to the gills. It's got the Fit beat in the space dept., but if mpg is a concern the Fit (though it pains me to say it) might have me beat.

I also used to cram a TON of stuff in a 2-door Golf, I almost bought a Jetta Turbodiesel Wagon - great mileage, tons of space...

19. mblackford

mblackford

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but the cheapest vehicle is almost always the one you already have. Good luck!

20. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8

I agree with the others that if you don't NEED a new vehicle right now, it's almost certainly cheaper to just stick with what you have. I drive 700 miles a week and just financed a Prius...I still end up paying more for the new car payments than I save on gas.

I only got it for the HOV sticker.

21. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

2001 Corolla manual transmission.