How do you assess a new student?

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by iwearpumas, Apr 9, 2014.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Hey Ant, I was wondering, when you get new students, how do you decide where to start teaching them? I know you said you have a curriculum, and you don't teach chops. But how do you determine what level to teach a new student?

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

I start every student at the same place. I prefer to not skip any steps or assume that a student 'knows' something. Most of the time, the student is the worst person to access where there are. They can't make an assessment on something that they don't even know exist.

A better thing to do is to start everyone from the beginning. And just move faster through the stuff the have a decent command over.

But the funny thing is,...

Most bass player are missing the same thing!

Fundamentals!!!

I rarely get a new student, beginner or advance(dexterity) who knows the notes on the bass.

Good bass players are so predictable about what they know and do.

But like a basketball coach,...

He shouldn't make an assumption about what a player knows. And their assessment of themselves are usually way off!!! He should make sure every basketball player on his team can shoot free throws. And he shouldn't assume that they can.

I can't tell you how many times a player has to me,...

"I know my notes. And I know theory I just need to learn this lick or technique."

Almost always when I get that statement,...

THEY NEVER KNOW THE NOTES AND VERY LITTLE THEORY!!!

So you see, it's easy for me,...

Start everyone from the beginning. If they know 'something', we move through that part of the curriculum faster. And if they don't, which is usually the case, we're still on track.

-anthony

3. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

I really want an honest assessment of my playing from a professional bass player.