How do you chose the basses you sell off?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hdracer, Dec 11, 2013.

1. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I am having a real dilemma.
    I have finely convinced myself that I have to sell off some basses. I have to many that do not get played enough and I need to "thin the herd" before I buy any more gear.
    I have never had a problem selling a bass that I really did not care for the feel or tone of. But as a lot of you other hoarders know you always have a few that you do not play a lot but you really like the bass. Sometimes it is the thought that you may not be able to replace the one you are selling in the future if you realized that you need or want it again.
    What about the market? It's low now. What if it comes back and that bass is selling for 30% more and you would be taking a hit right now as it is?

I plan on selling 3-4 of my basses. Two of them I really have no problem parting with. One is a beater that I really can not get much for so I'm not sure if it is even worth selling.
    That leaves choosing one of two others. I love both of them but do not play ether one much sense I stopped playing hard rock.
    Both are worth about the same amount of money on the market.
    One a little more but I have more invested in that one so the outcome would be less.
    Bass 1
    Pros: Love the tone
    Love the neck profile
    Can be used with the style of music I play now and sound good.

Cons: Uncomfortable to play even though the neck feels good in my hand. The rest of the bass just doesn't "fit".

Bass 2
    Pros: This bass fits like a custom made glove. Love the neck and every piece of wood and metal on it. I can play this bass all night.

Cons: Tone.
    I can not get it to fit into what I am doing now. I have tried some pick up swaps and pre's but I just do not think I will ever get the tone that I want out of it.
    It could use a re fret and the bridge string spacing is a little tighter than I like.
    I'm not real hip on the color ether.

I have spent the past couple evenings playing both of them and just can not decide. While I am playing one I'm thinking of selling the other.
    Nether one has any real sentimental value but I think one looks a lot cooler.

How would you choose?
  2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

I'd keep Bass 1.

Although it sounds like you're physically comfortable playing it, it seems as though you're fighting Bass 2. If neither has any sentimental value, sell the one that's been frustrating you - which sounds like it would be Bass 2.

Alternatively, sell both and put that money into a keeper. You'd still end up with the same number of basses that you would have if you just sold one.

Something I've noticed is that, when I'm considering selling a bass, I pick it up and play it and the rose-coloured glasses come on and I start thinking it's not that bad after all. So maybe you should put both away in cases, out of sight, and play another bass that isn't potentially on the chopping board. That might help you think more clearly about which you'd like to sell off.
  3. electracoyote

electracoyote

I keep thinking about how many times I picked up my favorite Ric and thought "wow, this just doesn't feel right." But the neck and tone were amazing. So I stuck it out.

Glad I did. So are the bands I play with.

Bass 1 gets my vote too.
  4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I'm with you. I'm fortunate to have several basses I like a lot right now, way more than I actually need. I have room for them (well I bump into them a lot) but it hasn't gotten out of hand. After I finish my parts basses that may change.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

Nether one of these are my #1 or 2 bass. Ether one could be my #2 4 string. I have 9 playable basses right now.
    My P5 gets the most play these days.
  7. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Im having the same issue....10 right now.....
  8. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Sell the one that can be replaced if needed!
  9. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I only have 5, but could easily sell off 2.
    That would leave me 1 active 4string, 1 passive 4string, and 1 active 5 string.
    That's all I really need.
  10. AudioClown

AudioClown

One mans beater is another man's treasure.

But stick with #1, #2 just seems to give you to many issues and lack of sentimental value.
  11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Sell #1, keep #2.

You may get a new musical situation (or different amp, etc.) wherein the second bass might just work GREAT!

Uncomfortable is forever.
  12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

+1

If I can't use them live they get 1 point towards SELL.
    If I can't use them in the studio, they get 1 point towards SELL.
    Any with 2 points is likely to go bye-bye.

Motivation to sell helps a lot.
    I was fortunate to sell ALL of my expensive basses(Gibsons, Steinberger with TransTrem, Orville by Gibson & Orvilles....Japan T-Birds made by Gibson like 1960's ones, etc.) prior to the "big financial bubble pop" of 2007~2009. Motivation? Son going to college and I had good, "cheap" basses that fit the band nicely and recorded well in the studio.

IMO, the market(puffed up prices) will not return.
    I have quite enough $69(Greco Japan LP that needed work) ~ $400 basses to keep me busy and amused PLUS they are fun, sound good, and many are audience eye-candy.
  13. hdracer

I forgot to mention in the OP that some of the money from the total sell off will go into the bass I keep of these two to make it my #1 or 2 4 string.
    I think ether one with enough work could do it.
    The rest of the money is going towards a new cab.
  14. artfahie

artfahie Supporting Member

+1... three quality basses with three unique and different applications. All based upon one high quality amplification source (MarkBass)

Art Fahie
    Maine
  15. Spaldo

Spaldo

I know your dilemma.....gimme a P bass and an upright and that's all I need!If I wasn't playing so many styles I'd ditch half the basses I have :D
  16. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would sell both of those basses.
  17. Bassquest

Bassquest

I only sell off when I'm gassing to buy again, that way it doesn't hurt too much.
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

I am in agreement, here.
  19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Just sell 'em, doesnt sound like they're gettin played anyway. I use to have a dozen or so at any given time but only played a couple, so I sold most of them and never looked back, still have 5 but only gig one or two these days. Point being, they are fun to collect but eventually they start taken up a bunch of room and you start wondering why I you have all this stuff anyway.
  20. bassteban

bassteban

I sell them when they get dusty
  21. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I still love my Precision V too. FWIW.