How do you combat Neck Dive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGoblin, Jan 8, 2014.

1. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

I apologize if there is a better section for this to be in.

I love my bass, and I'm not sure if its common with all basses, but my guitars never did this. There is a bit of neck dive that causes the bass to settle about parallel with the ground. The neck is at that point too low for me to comfortably play, so I end up holding the neck up which I'm sure ultimately hurts my potential in playing.

What do you do to fight it?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

A wide strap. A 2.5 or 3" franklin strap does the trick.

3. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Step 1 is lighter tuners (if you're not already using them). When I changed my Precision from the stock tuners to Hipshot Ultralites, I saved just over 5oz off the headstock. Completely changed the balance of the instrument.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Me? I don't buy basses that neck dive. Try a wide strap leather with suede inside that sticks to your shirt.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

I fix neck dive using two straps. The first strap used the conventinal way. The second strap attaches to the top horn (over the first strap) and slung over the right shoulder. The other end is looped thru my belt, just before the belt loop on my left side.
    This distributes the weight over both shoulders by creating a crisscross pattern on your back and you adjust each strap to taste for a custom fit.

7. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

8. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

Wide strap. Lighter tuners. BIG change.

9. therhodeo

therhodeo

Same. Had one and learned my lesson.

10. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

Asking around/researching is telling me that almost all basses neck dive. Especially when you go to 5/6 string. My neck isn't eactly 'diving'. It doesn't point to the ground. It is parallel with the ground. I would like to keep it more vertical. I think I'm going to try a wider strap for starters. If that doesn't work, no big deal. I'll work with it. It doesn't overly bother me, I just figured I'd stop it if I could with a simple fix.

11. therhodeo

therhodeo

I have 3 5's currently that don't and my 4 string jazz definitely doesn't. And lots of times I'm using cheap ernie ball nylon straps so theres nothing magical I'm doing to prevent it.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

That is extremely inaccurate.

I have only owned 5 or so 6 string basses, never owned a 5 string. I have never owned one that has neck dive.

I don't combat it personally because it usually wins, I find it best just to avoid it in the first place. Wide straps and lightweight tuners seem to be the only options. You could always just make a prop to rest the head on... :p

13. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

In order of things tried;

1. Wide, leather/suede strap

2. Straplocks - I use Fender's, they're reasonably priced and their design means the strap moves slightly closer to the headstock, which can help balance

3. Ultralites tuners

Usually the first two are enough

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

I like the Neotech strap. Stays put on my shoulder.

It feels a little stretchy when brand new, but that goes away with use.

15. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

I think I'll check this one out.

16. frisbieinstein

frisbieinstein

I've used a double strap, one strap over each shoulder. I've also moved the strap buttons, which works, but I bet you won't do that so I won't bother to explain it.

17. alembicbones

alembicbones

You are exceptionally happy with the bass but complain it has a fundamental flaw. Seems like a contradiction. As for the suggestion to buy another bass that doesn't neck dive, that's exactly what I did. I had an Alembic Series II that sounded great but had horrible balance. This was mainly due to the weight of the materials and a short upper horn. I tried different straps and alike but didn't arrive at a solution that worked for me. I had no problem selling the bass and finding one that worked for me (I went with the Europa model that is way more ergomically designed).

That all being said, if as you say, you love this particular bass, different tuners and straps "might" work. I just personally think there are bass designs that don't have this problem from the get go.

Best of Luck.
    Bones

18. mrbell321

mrbell321

look for a bass with the upper horn to be in line(or further to the headstock) w/ the 11th fret-wire. Unfortunately, this leaves out Les Paul and Jaguar shapes(which I happen to like quite a bit) and many P and J shaped basses as well. Anything else is really a band-aid. And before I get flamed for this, I know you'll disagree and I've heard it all before:
    I know straps can help hold the bass up. They "help", but they don't solve the problem of the natural balance of the bass.
    A heavier body(or bridge or anything on that side) does alleviate the balance problem, but has the severe downside of extra stress on my shoulders.
    Lighter tuners also adjust the balance w/out extra stress, so they'd be the best option if you're really intent on fixing a "bad" balance.

But I've found nothing as effective as an "extra long" upper horn. And "Extra long" is usually nothing more than 1/2" longer than most standard shapes(except the LPs... :-(). It's such a shame, really...

Oh, and I bet headless designs are more balanced, but I've only ever picked up a Traveler headless and it's body is so light and with such a short horn that it neckdived too.

19. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

I had read this in other threads too. There is one about 'best strap for neck dive'. So I ordered one a few days ago from MF for 23... the Mega. They're backordered but hopefully will release soon. I think a guy has one in the Classifieds too for 20.

20. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

Why do people choose to read what they want to read and base their answer on that?

In my original post I stated that it has a 'bit' of neck dive. Hell, it is so little that everyone else who has played it said to me 'that is not neck dive at all'. 2nd, the balance, when it is VERY balanced is not a fundamental flaw. I suppose I stated the question wrong. I want to counter-balance the headstock to make the bass MORE comfortable. I said it may ultimately hurt my potential. I'm going to try a wider/grippy strap. if that doesn't work, not the end of the world.

21. djaydjay

djaydjay

I've been considering the strap buttons (bringing that back one a bit higher) to my very neck-divy bass. How much does it change balance? If it makes only a little difference I won't bother since it woudln't be enough to balance that bass