How do you compare to your parents?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jan 30, 2014.

?

How do you compare to your parents

Poll closed Feb 9, 2014.
  1. I have the same political beliefs

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. My political beliefs are different

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. I have the same religion/no religion

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. I have a different religion/ no religion

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  5. I have the same education level

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. I have less education

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  7. I have more education

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  8. I have a the same income level considering inflation

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. I have a lower income level considering inflation

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  10. I have a higher income level considering inflation

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. I have the same marital status

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  12. I have a different marital status

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  13. I have a similiar family structure

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  14. I have a different family structure

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. I have the same amount of children

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  16. I have less children

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  17. I have more children

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  18. I expect to live longer than them

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  19. I expect not to live longer than them

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  20. My parents are/were carrots I am a rutabega

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

How does your beliefs and/or lifestyle compare to your parents?
    Me?
    They were conservative I am radical
    They were catholic I am born again christian
    I have some college they had none
    My household takes in a lot more money than they did but my wife works and my mom didn't, of course raising six kids was more work than I can imagine
    I am married and never divorced so were they
    My wife and I share household duties and we both work, my dad worked alwasys at least two jobs my mom and us kids did all the household duties
    They had six kids, I adopted one and foster parented two
    My parents were the WWII generation I am a boomer
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    In some ways very different. In some, nearly identical.
  3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

I'm like, way better.
  4. ZenG

ZenG

I'm so different from them that I kept thinking secretly that they adopted me........
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

My parents married young and partied a lot, my dad's still alive at 84, my mom died at 37.

So far, I've outlived my mom.
  7. bassinplace

bassinplace

I like to think I'm totally different from them. The older I get the more I realize the branch doesn't fall too far from the tree, however. :meh:
  8. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

The only thing my dad and I had in common was the same name, both breathed air, drank water and ate food. It pretty much ended there.
  9. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Very different with political views. They also both have degrees, where I don't have any but a HS diploma. Very similar in most other ways to one or the other. They're still married, and I am not and never have been (they're getting elderly, I'm 42). My older sister came about when they were in their late twenties. My first came when I was 33. I am still with my children's mother, just we aren't married (18 years together). So kinda very much alike, with a twist. My mother is really into her music, but never played any. My dad has a 10 year old vehicle and I'd bet half if not more of the radio is still factory preset, but he played in HS band. My mom owns a boutique and hand makes doll clothing, and my dad was a pharmacist (retired). I make custom guitar speakers (still tweaking bass cab designs... that's a different story), and my pharmacological experience is a bit different than my dad's (I'll leave it there). So very much my parent's kid, but have found my own way, too.
  10. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'm very much like my dad in appearance and personality and political/religious beliefs (or rather lack their of), but he had done more by age 30 than me. He was in the army, was a cop, got married, had his first kid, moved across the Atlantic, bought a house, and started a business by the time he was my age.

......and now I'm depressed. Thanks.
  11. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Rutabega = 20 years old right?
  12. slobake

Neither of my parents were musicians but my dad did like to sing. He was one of those little guys with a baritone voice. I ran out of space and couldn't put that question in the poll.
  13. slobake

yes ;)
  14. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Underachieving in just about anything so far.
  15. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

That is even true when comparing myself to my sister. Overacheiver to my underacheiver, it is quite the dichotomy.
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I decided to break down the comparisons between me and my parents like the OP. As usual i went into too many useless details. nobody will read that. Ah well who cares.

On politics:

My parents are left wing and so am I. My dad has a little sprinkle of right in his political views sometimes i find mainly on money matters (probably because he owned a business) but by an large, very left. They're also separatists (i live in Quebec, for those who still don't get it, look it up, i'm not gonna get into it) which i am not really. Or at least it doesn't really matter that much to me either way. Different generation, different realities. We pretty much all always end up voting for the same parties except on the federal level ive voted differently once or twice. They were still left wing parties.

On religion:

My mom has a spiritual side but she is not religious per se. She doesn't believe in god but she believes in something somehow... not sure how she defines it. My dad was from a pretty religious family (catholics here) and yet he isnt. Doesnt go to church, never owned a bible, etc. But yet I have a feeling that becaus eof his upbringing, while he never said so, he might possibly believe in god. It just never really came up. I am agnostic.

On education:

My dad only has high school diploma then he went straight to labor school. He's a machinist by formation but most of his professional life he owned a business. My mom dropped out in college. I did one semester of college and dropped out....

On finances:

My dad was born VERY lower class, my mom probably would have been defined as lower middle class at best..or upper lower class. When we were a family (meaning when they were married and I was a kid and teen) we were middle class (i found out years later my parents made loads more money than i thought at one point but my dad, because he had known misery, was always frugal). My dad has 17 brothers and sisters. His parents were uneducated farmers but they were smart somehow, they knew their kids needed an education so they sent them to be educated by the catholic priests (they also had to get them out of the house as soon as possible). The majority of my 17 uncles and aunts fared pretty well. One is a millionaire. Two were high school teachers. One was a programmer when that kid of things was still obscure as ****. The list goes on, most succeeded well.

My dad ran a motorsports business for 25 years or so with his brother and did well. My grandparents are dead now (i never knew my paternal granddad) but i respect them a lot for what they did for their kids. Most of them became comfortable middle class. Since my parents split 18 years back, my dad is still middle class and enjoying a good retirement, while my mom is pretty poor. She kinda made terrible choices money wise in her life and still working many jobs at 58.

I am very lower class in income. I make about ten times less cash in a year that my dad did while he ran his business. Money is not a priority for me though. As long as i can pay the bills and food.

On marital status and children:

My parents are divorced, i am unmarried and unlikely to ever be. I have a 6 years partner but marriage is not something that we plan to do. I just don't think its necessary. My parents had me and my brother. I don't plan to have kids. Neither does my brother who is also unmarried.

On employment/job:

My parents both worked, my mom started as a secretary then became accountant/secretary for my dad's business (which at the time really was THEIR business, she co owned it with my dad and an uncle). When they split, she sold her share of the business, she did varous small jobs first, tried to start a business that failed...got into Amway and Herbalife later (yeah don't ask....) but all through this she was also a dance teacher, performed professionally alone or with her students, and she also at some point became a professional massage therapist (she studied for that). My dad was a machinist before he owned the business, he had an accident that got him to lose part of his finger, after that he couldn't go back to his old job and he bought a motorsports business in the late 70's and ran it until the mid 2000's when he sold it and retired.

Me and my gf are both artistic, and have bad anxiety issues that makes it so we're not very good at traditional jobs. We earn money in various (legal) ways that generally don't involve holding down a job per se. I'm not good at 9 to 5. And by not good i mean, it brought me on the brink of suicide before. It's not worth it to me. I prefer no car and a small apartment and no luxuries over having my mental health deteriorate to that point again.

My parents are both baby boomers (1945 for my dad, 1956 for my mom), i'm a Gen X'er (1978). So is my gf (1972).

On interests/hobbies:

My mom is artistic too having been a dancer. I probably owe her my early interest in music. She didnt play (well not true, she can play some piano but we didnt have one) but listened to a lot of music. My dad has no artistic inclinations whatsoever and no sense of rhythm. Though i've seen him mold a brick of metal into a remote controlled plane 6 cylinders engine and that to me is pretty much art...(though he did follow a plan :p). Building and flying RC planes used to be his hobby for years. Now its more biking (has been for about 15 years) though he still does work metal. He's 67, i'm 35, and he could kick my ass any day without breaking a sweat.

They are both terrific cooks. I hate cooking (though could be a decent cook if i bothered..i think). Its funny cause in their approach to cooking my mom is very artistic..she'll improvise anything, my dad is mathematical, he can make his own recipes sure but he needs to know the exact measurements he used and he'll refine them until it's perfect.

My interest and hobbies hmm...well...I'm into video games a lot. Unsuprisingly neither of them are :p.(though my dad used to have a RC plane simulator he "played")
  17. tplyons

tplyons

Mom's a Democrat, Dad's a Republican. I'm an Independent and tend to agree with them on some issues and not others. Same with my brother.

Mom's Catholic, Dad's Lutheran. I'm Catholic, but not practicing.

Mom has an Associate's degree. Dad has 20 years of military service and tons of experience. I'm 28 weeks from finishing my MBA. My brother has his JD.

On Money, I make about the same as both of my parents, excluding my old man's military pension. However, I carry student debt that effectively means I'm making about 2/3 of what they do.

They're still married to each other. I haven't found the one. They had two kids, I have none (see previous sentence). One day I'd like to have the same family structure.
  18. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I am younger than both my parents.
  19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

My parents were both fairly apolitical. And when they would discuss anything political, it was usually from a pragmatic, salt-of-the-Earth perspective. I'm much more politically informed.

My parents weren't very religious. Dad believes in God. As far as I know, mom was an atheist up until she died. I'm a theist, but I'm pretty secular in my day-to-day life.

I'm much more educated than my parents. Dad has a GED and mom graduated from high school. I have a master's degree, and once I get word back about my comprehensive exam, I'll be officially ABD in a Ph.D program. Other than two cousins on my mother's side of the family whom I believe have a bachelor's and an associate's respectively, I'm the only other person in my immediate family to have ever gone to college, let alone grad school.

I probably make similar income to my father at the moment, but due to my education, I'll have the opportunity for much more upward mobility.

My father was a bass player and that's where I first started learning how to play.

My mother was a workaholic, and I got some of that from her. Luckily, I've eased up a bit on that over the past couple of years. My father was never very assertive, and one thing that's different is that I'm very assertive, perhaps because I'm an only child. Dad has had to step up to the plate much more on that kind of thing since mom died, though.

I'm in my early 30s and I'm not married. Would really like to find The One, but I have no interest in having children.
  20. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I can't wrap my head around that. I just can't. Its one thing to befriend people (though even that i find hard to wrap my head around) with opposing poltical beliefs, but to be married with them? Impossible for me to imagine. I mean...i couldn't actually be in love with someone with opposing political views. I just couldn't.
  21. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Well generally, people marry or engage in long-term relationships with those who are similar. That's going to include political beliefs. Of course, there are always outliers and exceptions. My last serious girlfriend was at the complete other end of the political perspective from myself, and it was tough once in a while. I don't need people to validate my own thoughts and beliefs, but if someone is far away from me on the political scale, then there are probably some very foundational values that we're going to disagree on. :meh: That's not what broke us up, but I probably wouldn't date someone that far away from me on political beliefs again.

I once had a relationship with a woman, who despite being fairly liberal or at least left-center, was a registered Republican. She was a Republican because she wanted to vote in primaries to help keep the more extreme candidates out of the general election.