1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How do you date SWR gear?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tim1, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Tim1

Tim1

Is there a site where you can date SWR amps and cabs by serial number?If not are there some simple guidelines? I cannot find one and all this talk about pre and post fender has gained my attention. I have several items from past years that it would be interesting to be able to link to earlySWR/late SWR/fender. Having said that, it has always worked fine for me and I enjoy my Goliaths coupled to my Mesa 400+ more than to my SM900.
  2. Alex

Alex

Dinner and a movie is always a safe bet when you're dating something that you're not familiar with. SWR gear usually doesn't like horror movies. I would suggest a comedy. After that, possibly an Italian or Brazilian restaurant. SWR gear LOVES Brazilian restaurants. After that ut's up to you to work the magic...

Sorry to totally derail your thread. If it helps, I have no idea how to find out how old SWR gear is.
  3. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

DUDE! If you don't know how to tell how old they you better NOT date 'em! You can get in trouble that way.

I almost hooked up with an SWR amp I met online, but we just didn't click so we had 1 drink and went our seperate ways.
  4. Tim1

Tim1

I should have known better - having seen a similar thing happen to other threads I should have phrased my request less ambiguously. And to answer the next question in advance - no I am not prepared to describe how I managed to couple with a Mesa400+! Thanks for putting a smile on my face anyway, but I would be interested if anyone actually does know the answer to the genuine question.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Perhaps an email to SWR?

If you have the cover off, look for date codes on transformers and electrolytic capacitors...the EIA code format would be something like a two, three or four digit number followed by a dash or space followed by four digits. Of the last four digits the first two should be the year and the second two the week.

If you get parts that were made late in the year, it's probably safe to assume that the amp was made the next year.

Also, look at www.SWRsound.com, seems to me that they give year ranges for some of the vintage amps.
  6. nickelseye

nickelseye

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

8. Alex

Alex

9. anderbass

anderbass

Try removing the amps top cover and look inside for a date.
  10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing:D'Addario,Genz Benz,Truth Drums,Evans,SKB,Nordstrand pu's
    You beat me to it Alex.:)
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was thinking along these lines, but yours is much better than mine would've been. Nice work.