How do you feel about ELECTRONIC DRUMS?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassbubble11, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

Hello TB, I have a question for all you gigging bass players.

I am currently in a 3 piece original alt rock band. Or drummer
    is a monster not only in his playing but his drums as well.

Here is a picture of his current "small" acoustic set.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I am really into the whole "live" experience of being
    in a rock band. One of the things that makes it so good for me
    is an acoustic drum kit (the looks and sound).

Last night at band practice the drummer had his older electronic
    kit set up (in sounds and plays like crap IMO) and told us that
    he was going to be buying a new electronic kit and using it
    exclusively at gigs because he is sick of lugging around his
    acoustic set (otherwise known as the Death Star).

I told him and the guitar player that if that was the case that
    I would be leaving the band because I do not want to play in a
    band ,especially live, with a an electronic kit. I explained that to
    me there is a certain "MOJO" a real drum kit brings to the live
    rock band experience. I feel pretty strong about adhering to
    a certain rock ethos that does not include digitizing our band.
    It's cool if he wants to be in a band like that but I don't.

OK i get that he doesn't want to drag around the Death Star
    so I suggested that he size his kit down. The response I got
    was "no way" I then asked why. He said because he needed
    all the drums. I asked how many pieces the electric kit he was
    thinking of buying was and he told me 6. 6 is half the size of
    his current set so at that point I was like whatever. I was told
    to stop being a dick.

So what do you guys feel about electronic drums and am I being
    a dick for not wanting to play in a live band with them?
  2. Mas Fuego

Mas Fuego There is more

The new kits are amazing IMO. Also what they can do to stage volume are pure joy. But it is not the same. There are pros and cons
  3. Duckwater

Duckwater

I think they sound great in the right context, but they don't capture the same dynamics as an acoustic kit which is very important to me. I don't feel that you're necessarily in the wrong here, but you should give it a try before making your decision.
  4. Bassbubble11

Hmm.... I can't believe only 2 people have an opinion
    on this subject.

Does anyone have any experience with playing with a
    drummer that uses an electronic kit?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    I love it.
    Minimal setup time, minimal soundcheck time, never too loud, great sound palette.
    Not exactly the same as an acoustic? True, but you'd be amazed how many times acoustic drums are sample replaced on records...
    As I see it, the pros far outweigh the cons.
  7. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

If I was told by a bandmate that I should continue to lug around two 2X15 instead of a single one or even a combo if we had FOH support, I'd tell the guy to stop beign a dick too. Drums are annoying to lug, install and tear down.

If you feel accoustic drums are a must (and I don't imply they aren't, some music asks for the dynamics or even look), either fire the guy, quit the band or offer to lug them around. Or give it a try. It's not as if modern electric drum kits channel the 80's and will make everything sound like a Flock of Seagulls record. They also make mixing and stage volume a lot easier to manage.
  8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with them, but you obviously don't like them, and that doesn't make you a dick, just a guy with a differing opinion. Seems to me like you and your drummer suddenly just became incompatible. It's a bummer, but it's not a reflection on your personality (or your drummer's).

I do, but it's not really relevant. A long time ago I played in an acoustic band. Ironically, electronic drums were just the ticket, because we could turn them down to match the acoustic guitars. In fact, we rehearsed without any amplification at all for the guitars or vocals. (I still used electric bass, though).

Since then, I have played with at least three drummers I can think of offhand who have used hybrid kits (acoustic and electronic drums mixed in various ways). Honestly, I really like this arrangement. But it doesn't sound like you would, so... :meh:
  9. Saxn

Saxn

Just thinking out loud here, but is there any chance you could offer to assist him with setting up his monstrosity? It does look like a bit of a pain...
  10. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

We use electronic drums at my church, my only "gig". Yeah, I'd rather we used acoustic and since they would not have to set them up or tear them down more than a few times a year so would our drummers. But they are pretty essential to making a drum kit fit into a worship service acceptably and as long as I remember to dial up the mix in my monitor correctly they really are not a problem. So I don't complain and I would not leave a non-church band over this issue either. How would you react if your electronic drummer demanded that you play a double bass or he was going to leave the band? Should we all get to choose which instrument we play or should the rest of the band tell each member in turn what instrument to use?

Ken
  11. Winfred

Winfred

I like them. I like them more at rehearsals than gigs, but I like electronic kits.

Now there are many diffferent electronic kits, and the pricier ones will let a drummer do "almost" anything an acoustic kit can. But yeah, the volume, especially stage volume won't be there for you. You seem like you really want that. Nothing wrong with that.

If you have a decent monitor system, you could have the electronic drums pumped through them right into you face, if it makes you feel better.

Electronic drums, that are mixed well, and PLAYED well, are a blessing imo.
  12. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

The drummer I play with uses one. He virtually has to because he only has one hand.

I dig it; you can lower the volume as you need and assign new sounds to the pads.
  13. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I don't have anything personally against them, but they always seem (to me) to be a bit of a "cop out". I know they're not, and the more expensive kits are outstanding.

It sort of reminds me of a bass player who shows up with a steinberger and a mini-amp. I KNOW that can sound good - hell I've done it myself (back in the day) but it, at least to me, seems a bit like "cheating"......:D

But what the hey!! Whatever floats yer boat!

And, as usual......

YMMV :D
  14. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

The newer, higher end sets sound quite good. But I agree, I prefer the sound and dynamic range of an acoustic set.

There are plus and minuses to both. Portability and ease of setup as well as keeping the overall volume under control goes to the electric kit. Sound men will love you.
  15. bhernco

bhernco Supporting Member

So if you get a chance to play with ( Put your favorite here ) and he shows up with Electronic Drums you walk? I don't think so!
  16. Bassbubble11

Thanks for the input guys. I hope this is a phase or something
    because not only do I like the drummers playing I like the drummer
    as a person. He is a really good guy and we have become really good
    friends over the past couple years.

I would like to think that if I do end up leaving we can remain friends
    but from past experience that could go either way.

I did let him know that this has nothing to do with him but it has to
    do with me and my vision of the kind of band I want to be in.
  17. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Newer sets are generaly very good. The rest depends on the drummer: I played with guy who had nice set and sounded crap, guy that had cheap set but sounded OK, and pro session drumer with OK set that made beautifull music.
    I say give your drummer a chance, it is worth a try.
  18. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

This is the perfect opportunity for everyone to go completely in-ear with no amps on stage. Your FOH sound will be awesome!

lowsound
  19. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

V-Drums are awesome and your drummer is a crazy man for playing an acoustic kit that large. You should welcome his return to sanity.
  20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

In my opinion, they suck. I'm all for adding a few pieces here and there to an acoustic kit ( ala Bud Gaugh or David Robinson), but the few times my drummer was forced to use them on a gig, it totally blew. I can see their usefulness for some guys in a rehearsal setting though. Not for us however, we have a full studio to screw around in.
  21. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I like them. We rehearse with a Roland TD10 V Drums kit. All band members plug into pre-amps then go direct to the mixing board. We use the room monitors for the complete mix. You can get a huge fat sound with electronic drums. When we gig we mostly go with the acoustic kit but there have been a few times we have used the Roland kit. Maybe my ear is just use to the Rolands, but I think I prefer the electric kit to acoustic kit as the drums just sound bigger. You should at least give it a try before quitting. Edit: One more thing. If you do use an electric kit, be sure you have some good subs in your sound system.
    [​IMG]