How do you fight hum issues?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Mar 1, 2014.

1. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

My amp has been buzzing into my recordings but it doesn't come through the cab just the DI from the head :bawl:
    Ashdown Mag300H with the 410 cab. Its a relitavely new issue and is a pain to deal with in recordings.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Hey guys I did a bunch of troubleshooting and here's what I came up with. I had a cable that wasn't grounded properly and the input on the Interface was up too high so it had some hum coming through there too. After making some adjustments to power and cables here's a few rules to follow.
    1. Try to avoid ground loop issues by using a power strip for amps on the same circuit.
    2. Make sure your instrument and XLR cables are shielded and grounded cables.
    3. Make sure your power strip doesn't have computers or external hard drives plugged in otherwise you can hear them in the amps and pedals.
    4. If possible have as little intermingling of audio and power cables. Its a small problem if you don't have shielded cables otherwise you should be okay.
    5. Make sure the volumes in the Interface are not clipping in the DAW. sometimes its louder into the DAW than the interface shows.
    6. Hit Record and have a good time!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  3. Rob22315

Rob22315

Ground lift on the DI?

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I had a similar issue when I used a GK head in the studio several years ago. I ended up just running my bass direct to the board and putting a mic on the cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

DI was straight out of the amp head. I figured its easier to DI the head and mic the cab. The XLR cable was the culprit. I realized it was a cheap XLR to1/4" cable that wasn't grounded properly

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The best way to fight hum issues is to learn the words.