How do you happy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paste, Dec 29, 2013.

1. paste

paste Supporting Member

How does one stay happy on a regular basis? It seems like an obvious question but I have been struggling with it lately.
  2. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

It's a state of mind . Sounds easy doesn't it ? It isn't , but practice it anyway.

Don't look for people or things to make you happy , they won't . You have to find it inside yourself. See above.

Avoid toxic people and situations . The negativity is contagious.

Sleep enough . Eat right . Exercise.

Find things to make you laugh everyday.

Good luck on your quest . It's lifelong for many.
  3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

By doing whatever I want at least once a day.
  4. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Get some exercise too. Stay busy to keep away from negative things. Focus on moving forward. Hopefully it will become a habit.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Good advice so far.

Also, happy is a decision.
  7. ZenG

ZenG

I built my own Frontal Lobotomy machine.....
  8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I Play my bass. It's like a drug but without the side effects.
  9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

it's a bit unrealistic to expect, or strive for a constant state of happiness. life has natural ups and downs.
  10. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

I will counter that happiness is not the same as pleasure. We can traverse very unpleasant circumstances with happiness. Well, some people can, I'm not really enlightened enough to effectively do so myself.

In fact, I think to label it "happiness" it has to be a deeper sentiment that weathers good and bad times; lots of folks living pleasurably are not happy.
  11. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Don't let your reach exceed your grasp.
  12. verycoolname

verycoolname

According to my psychology teacher and the facial feedback hypothesis, happiness is a state of mind. More accurately, the hypothesis suggests that smiling and acting happy will actually trigger a real happiness within you.

I'd suggest doing things you enjoy, spending time with people you love, and keeping a smile on your face. I've struggled with depression, so I know how difficult it is...all I can say is you can overcome it.
  13. hbarcat

hbarcat

Happiness arises from the satisfaction of participating in activities and in accomplishing things that are important to you, personally. These are things both big and small.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you can make yourself happy by trying to earn the admiration of others for accomplishing or doing things that will make them happy.

Earn your own respect, first by doing things that really matter to you and be happy if you have that. The respect of others often follows automatically and you can consider that a bonus to be happy about.
  14. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I would classify myself as very happy. I have created an environment that I really enjoy being a part of with regards to my marriage, where I live, friendships, relationship with my family, career, social activities, etc. I would say the biggest thing that helps is surrounding myself with other happy people. My boss is happy, my wife is happy, I've let go of the toxic friends.....the ones that would constantly post on FB stuff like "today sucks" and generally blame the world for their own problems. Negative people create a vortex of suck that is worth avoiding. Sure, some friends need a boost now and then, but some people are just spinning their wheels in a vat of shitake.

I wake up happy every day. I may go to bed a bit stressed, but it's my decision to start every day fresh with a smile. I've had rough patches...certainly things have gone wrong, but my decision to give each day a likely chance to go well always helped me through.

Now, cut me off on the freeway or jump in front of me in a grocery store if a new checkstand opens and you were behind me...forget it. Welcome to the punch (movie title, not literal).
  15. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    A Waterpipe.

Oh yeah, happy wife = happy life. Wake up with, and go to bed with, a smile.
  16. tplyons

tplyons

Find the beauty around you... either in architecture or nature. No matter where you are there's something beautiful.

Learn something new. Sometimes you can feel unhappy because you're stagnant. No promotions in work, no new friendships. Get out and do something you haven't done before... meet new people, hear new stories, and feel like you've achieved something.
  17. PWRL

PWRL

Eat right, exercise, play my bass, play with my cat, appreciate nature.
    I also play in a band where anything goes and we record it all. It gets ridiculous and hilarious, and makes everyone take life less seriously during all those times when it doesn't need to be.

One thing I like to do is pick a different random, easy song to learn. Tonight I learned the Byrds version of "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere". It was easy and it made me feel good.
  18. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Well....you might have psychological issues that keep you from feeling happy all the time. I know I kinda do, though I try.
  19. Chad Michael

Chad Michael

;)
  20. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

So where would you draw the line between that and unhealthy repression of emotions?
  21. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

By not giving a flying ****.

Also, beer.