How Do You Haul Your Equipment to a Show?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ckdhaven, Dec 23, 2012.

1. ckdhaven

ckdhaven

I play in a 4 member band with a sound guy and a technician. We are a hobby band but we have tons of gear that we bring to each show because every musician plays many different instruments.. We're getting older now and want to eliminate some of the work..

That being said.. We are (I am) looking for a 6x12 enclosed trailer. We can keep all of the FOH in the trailer between shows and avoid the real "work" of loading and unloading the FOH each night.. I have a secure place to park the trailer with the equipment inside and that's not an issue..

However, these trailers are very expensive...

How do you guys get your gear to the shows? I am open to other ideas...
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Picked this up for $1600. Another $300 in material to customize the interior for our gear and voila.

[​IMG]
  3. Richland123

Richland123

We use three vehicles to haul all our gear. Personally, I have been using a Chevy Venture mini van with the middle and back seats out until it died last week. I just bought a new KIA Sedona mini van that the back seats fold down into the van and the middle captain chairs come out. So, I have plenty of room for my bass gear, lights, and PA equipment and seats if I need to haul people.
  4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

chevy astro - PA, guitar rig, costumes, merch
    toyota tundra - bass rig, drums
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Never put your band logo on the trailer.
    It's a big sign that says "LOOK!!!STEAL ME I HAVE EXPENSIVE STUFF INSIDE!!!"

A buddy of mine has a trailer that his band hauls their gear in.
    He has the UofM ( University of Michigan) logo on the rear door and under it, it says "School of mortuary science"
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I was waiting for this reply. We got that covered. The trailer never has anything in it except for when we gig and when we are at a venue and the spare stuff is outside in the trailer, my 100 lb pitbull is hanging out in there too. ;)
  8. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    ... Unless your bands name is "Bob's Septic Cleaning Services"
  9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

If a gig requires more than this 30 lb. monster:

[​IMG]

I call cartage. :cool:
  10. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Everything I need & use fits in My Jetta with seat folded down. 2 4Ohm Avatar Cabs, Carvin BX500 Hartke LH1000, RIC 4003, Fender Jag, Backpack full of Cables. + room for 1 passenger.
  11. SpecialBlender

SpecialBlender

We've got a home built trailer about 4' x 6' clear inside with a shelf in the nose for all our mike, speaker, guitar & amp stands stacked on it. Enough space inside for 6 powered JBL 15 Eons, my 410 cab, mixer, FX rack & and box for all our cables, power cords & lights.

Guitar players small Fender amps and my Bass rack all go home with us. Drummer uses a jazz style kit, packs into 2 cases that he takes home.

Total cost was well under $1,000 and about 60.00/year for insurance.

Band leader tows the trailer to gigs with myself & guitar player as riders for any job more than 20 miles away.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

You ride inside the trailer? Because my drummer's wife is an insurance agent and she insures our trailer and contents. She told us that under no circumstance ever does a human being ride inside that trailer.
  13. edbass

edbass

[​IMG]

Much easier to deal with than a trailer, but not as roomy. Sometimes mine gets attached to a trailer when it's a big rig kinda gig.

I was going to put a band logo on it, but decided to go with something slightly less obvious to would be thiefs;

[​IMG]

Is your dog bulletproof and pry bar resistant? To me losing my pet would be far more traumatic than losing my gear; the gear is insured and easily replaced.
  14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Do you really think a thief is going to bring a gun, continue prying on a steel door while a dog is carrying on inside, while in a parking lot of a bar, in the hopes that A) he is faster than the dog and B) the band left something of value in the trailer?
  15. SpecialBlender

SpecialBlender

He usually lets us ride in the truck unless we've had chile for supper.;)
  16. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

The pic on the left is when I first started gigging.

The other pic is more recent.
  17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

We all carry our own gear.
  18. duff beer

duff beer

Our band rehearses in my basement so we meet there to load up before the gig. Our drummer has an SUV that fits all his drums and my bass gear, the guitarist has a mini van that will hold his gear and the PA. After a gig the guitarist and keyboardist drive themselves home with their own gear, and the drummer and myself unload our gear in my basement.
  19. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I almost made the trailer mistake....

Then realized that I could get smaller, lighter and more efficient gear

Sounds better.... Less setup time.... Looks better

Cheaper than additional transportation
  20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Wasn't a mistake for us. It has been a huge advantage, particularly where set up time is concerned. Gear is plenty efficient and I have no need for smaller or lighter. Load in to sound check is about 1:15. Last song to pulling out of the lot is about 35 minutes. And no one has to drive anywhere but home afterwards. Truck and trailer get pulled into a large garage to await being unloaded at the next rehearsal.
  21. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

We rent a Uhaul white van for $50, generally we make enough at the gig to cover the Van and a couple drinks.