1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How do you like to set your "Bass" level?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SquareWaves, Dec 5, 2013.

1. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

I've recently started realizing that the "bass" knob on different amps doesn't also mean "air pushing vibration". When I boost the bass on my pre-amp(rusty box/traynor TS-50B) it doesn't sound particularly good to me and have found that I really like the EQ mostly flat with tons of gain. This has been very different from the past where I would think to boost the bass on any amp without even hearing it flat first.

If I still want to maintain the clarity and sound I have now but still crush guts what would be the way to go about that? A sub?
  2. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    What genre are you playing in? I like thick low mids (focal point somewhere around 150-180Hz probably) with controlled lows, but master volume loud. When cranked loud enough and mixed with heavy guitars I get a good gut vibration.

If the mix is going to be super aggressive (typically I'm playing with guitars in drop B), I use minimal bass and cut lows a dash on my bass and on my amp's preamp. This keeps the tone fast and punchy. I fill some low lows back in with my Sansamp in the FX loop (Bass around 1:00) before it hits the power section.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Depends on the amp, cabs and what music I'm playing. Sometimes I'll give it some gas, sometimes I won't.
  4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Your cab is the limiting factor on what you can do with that knob. Sometimes its a fart control.
  5. electracoyote

electracoyote

On my amp (Markbass LMIII) through a 15" cab, bass set flat (noon). Almost always.
  6. morgansterne

morgansterne

I believe I read it somewhere on talkbass actually and started doing this --- Leave your bass control all the way down. Turn the other controls flat and turn up master volume till you're loud enough. then turn up the low bass EQ to taste. After I started doing this I think I was more audible with a controlled sound.
  7. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

yeah, depends on the room and stuff. And amount of PA support I have.
  8. Lo-E

Lo-E

This... and, as Slough points out, the room itself and your amp's position in it.

There are so many variables... the best tool you have at your disposal is your ears.

For the most part, I tend not to push real lows and, instead, push low-mids as they often cut better in a live setting. There are no hard-fast rules, though.
  9. songwriter21

songwriter21 Supporting Member

It took me a WHILE to dial in my perfect sound, especially with all of the shaping tools on my GK head. I've got enough clarity and projection to rip anyone's head off, and I've only got a 2x10 with it. And I'm in a country band. Teehee.

The bass eq I always re-adjust from flat, for whatever the acoustics of the room are. The treble is up enough so I only have to dial a little from the on-board eq, because both kinds have their own qualities. The mids are never changed. The gain is between 10 and 11, and the post gain, the G.I.V.E. (tube emulation circuitry) is about the same. The contour (mid scoop) knob is completely off, and the presence is between 2 and 3. I also always crank the on-board mid eq to the max. I've worked with this sound enough to not get any "farting" whatsoever.

Here are my settings:

Attached Files:

10. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Usually I drop it a tad, maybe to 1130 or so.
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

You gotta set it where it fits in and sounds right. I usually set my bass just above waist level.
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Actual gut crushing bass is sub bass fundamentals, 30 to 50hz, very hard to do on the scale of a bar with only your rig. It needs a mountain of subs.

Chest thumping bass is higher up at 80hz. Your drummer usually owns that when the band has subs. Sometimes my drummer forgets his mic, more fun for me!
  13. zachoff

zachoff

SVT - Bass 12:00, Mid 2:00, Treble 12:00 - shift @800
    Orange TB - Bass 9:00, Mid 9:00, Treble 3:00
  14. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

it's funny, I used to do the same...boost the low straight away without even listening first.
    nowadays I start out with everything flat and adjust (mostly) the Highs and Lows to taste, and usually fairly minimally. all that scoop and 'tone shape' **** drives me nuts because it's often not clear what flat is...12 or 0?

i might try that start with everything flat and increase bass to taste next time!
  15. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

I spend most of my time with Acme or Bergantino boxes, neither of which shy away from low end. It's not all that unusual to see my bass knob around 10-11 o'clock and still hear plenty of bottom