1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How do you make a High Pass Filter @ 40 Hz?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GlennW, Jan 7, 2008.

1. GlennW

GlennW

All I found searching was stuff I don't understand.

I'm building a medium size full range cabinet for an Eminence KappaLite 3015 following their specs. The cab will be used alone. It says to use a High Pass Filter @ 40 Hz. What's an easy way to do this?

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Disclosures:
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    These filters are usually built into the LMS (Loudspeaker Management System) of PA systems. Building one using passive crossover components would be prohibitively expensive, well over $100.

4. GlennW

GlennW

Thanks, I think I'll skip that step and see how it goes.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser

7. GlennW

GlennW

Thanks, they have a 30 Hz and and a 50 Hz. I'll keep the link handy in case.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

I generally use the built-in ones in my power amps, although most tend to be a little above or below 40Hz IME. My Ashly parametric EQs have an adjustable one, as do quite a few other pro audio EQs.

9. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Is there such a thing as a passive variable frequency high or low pass filter?

10. *smb

*smb

Yes. It's a capacitor in series with a variable resistor.

11. GlennW

GlennW

I got a speaker from ebay with something like that. It was '59 blue Jensen 15" and it had a big (40 uF?) cap and what was left of what I think was a rheostat. Would something like that work?

12. *smb

*smb

Chances are it was made by someone like me with a head full of maths and graphs and little real-world knowledge. I'd test the values of everything with a multimeter, find the current ratings of each component, calculate where the cut-off point should be and then give it a low-volume trial run.

13. GlennW

GlennW

Thanks for the idea, I might look into that. That's kind of the answer I was expecting...I'm 99% sure I threw that stuff away after "saving it" for a few months.

14. Vin_MM_Sabre_79

Vin_MM_Sabre_79

The filters frequency is determined by the fixed value of the capacitor... no? :confused:

15. Edword

Edword

FWIW, I wrote to Eminence last week, asking about the availability of a 40Hz high-pass filter, after seeing it in one of their cab design specs.

This was their reply:

We do not offer the high pass filter. Ideally, it is done actively. Parts Express might be a good place to find a schematic to build a passive filter. Although, this may not be necessary for bass applications, as there's not much information below 40Hz. It's recommended to protect the driver from overexcursion problems. Pro audio is where it's absolutely necessary.

16. A9X

A9X

This is how I'd do it, but there is a lot of redundancy in the boards for what you want.
    http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm

The Ashly EQ is probably the best idea.

That will do wonders for the efficiency of the system.

17. GlennW

GlennW

Thanks everybody for the input.

My only concern was the bass drum from a drum machine. I don't know what Hz that is. I'll just forget about the HPF for now and play with the EQ on the amp.

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A capacitor alone is a 1st order filter, and offers virtually no protection. BTW, at 40 Hz you'd need a 350uF capacitor.

19. asad137

asad137

Disclosures:
    Physicist
    No, the time constant is given by R*C.

Asad