1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

how do you polish the solid maple necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Billy K, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Billy K

Billy K

I got a Squier with solid maple neck and would like it to be like glass.yeah right.but as smooth as I can get, what is everybody's technique?
  2. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

Clear glossy paint.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

If you're talking about the back of the neck, I'd recommend the ol' standbys: #0000 steel wool or ScotchBrite pads. Be sure to mask off the pickups and electronics when using steel wool. Either way, the results are fairly consistent in terms of satinizing the neck and reducing "grab". I'll advance to #000 steel wool if the necks sports those annoying clearcoat (nitro, poly, etc) nicks and assorted blemishes.

Riis
  4. Billy K

Billy K

thanks ris I used steel wool and now brown paper bag
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Excellent! How did the project turn out? Tell us more about using the brown paper bag....did it really make a difference?

Riis
  6. Billy K

Billy K

don't see it but it may be like 2000