1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How do You power your pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

My current set up is View attachment 315089

I usually use a one spot with 8 multi plugs pus a 24 volt plug with the q tron,

However I'm just not digging it, to much excess cable here not enough there. I'm considering the voodoo labs but then Id need 2 of the 8 just for the q tron:(

Any help? Ideas?

2. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I use an SKB ps45 powered board. 8 9v plugs and 3 spaces for wall warts. I dig it.

3. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I use a homemade battery pack, 16 AA Sanyo eneloop batteries, gives me all the 9v juice I need for like 9-10 pedals. You can simply add new plugs and/or setup new voltage configurations as needed, but, yeah, helps a whole lot if your board is simple voltage wise...

4. metaball

metaball

i have Voodoo Labs PP2+, Fuel Tank Jr & BBE Supa Charger. They all work great.

Anyone shopping for power supplies i reccommend they take inventory of what they have & make a chart of voltage & mA. then head over to stinkfoot's page & shop for power that meets your needs.
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

I use two "One Spot" wall-warts with miltiple leads. All my pedals are 9v, so it works fine for me. I also run a Digitech Vocalist Live 2 (on the floor next to my board) from my board's two power strips, and that has its own wall-wart.

7. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Voodoo labs pp2 all the way. Can't beat it

8. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372 Supporting Member

+1 on this board. i really liked having the extra wall wart. i got rid of mine after a while though. i really like the routing capabilities with pedaltrain boards. im using a 1 spot now. for 7 pedals. will be 8 soon. i dont like the pedal power's and other similar power supplies because they dont provide enough milliamps for some of my pedals that are 200-300 milliamps. or atleast thats what reading the spec's tells me.

9. 4001

Voodo Lab Pedal Power ISO 5.

10. Strikebass

Strikebass

Guys please forgive my deep ignorance, could you tell me the functions of those 2 pedals at the left, and what a line selector does?

11. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

They are expression pedals of some sort. They either control a wah effect, the overall volume, or they plug into another effect unit to control some other parameter.

The line selector is sort of what its name says...it switches between (or mixes) two different signal paths.

12. Tony Flow MMMM

Yea one on left is currently volume. Sometimes it's my expression pedal. The white one is a bass wah. The LS-2 let's me bypass all effects Incase something goes haywire. Or for tone retention. Or I can blend my clean with the dirty. It also allows me to click pedals before I need them they may be hard to reach. And then stop a easy to reach pedal

13. wmheilma

wmheilma

I also use a 1 spot for about 9 things plus the 24v adapter that came with the Q Tron as well as the plug on my old TC chorus that is wired right into the pedal. So there are three things plugged into an extension chord with three plug-ins on the end.

+1 for a true bypass pedal. I use this to get the digital effects completely out of the patch when I am not using them. Somehow, they seem to change my sound when they are not supposed to be.

bass > Aguilar TLC Comp > OC-2 > HardWire Tube Overdrive > In-Line Dual Distortion >Holy Grail Rvb > Q-Tron+ > Loooper (bypass) > Boss PH-3 > DD-7 > Looper(rtn) > Fulltone Fat Boost > TC Chorus/Flanger

14. Strikebass

Strikebass

Thank you mate

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+. Been powering my board for a few years without failure, and with tremendous adaptability. It's small, it's convenient, and I don't have issues with hum or other noises common in daisy chains.

16. bassbrad

bassbrad

At home I keep it simple using a 1Spot, have not really had any issues that would lead me to the more expensive alternatives.

My touring board is a Furman SPB-8C with the hard case but I still just use a daisy chain instead or separate power runs.

17. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Hum and other issues are NOT common in a properly designed common ground daisy chain. Don't believe the hype.

In fact, when tested, the 1Spot is as quite as a VooDoo PP2. It's also cheaper, more powerful and works anywhere in the world with out the need for voltage conversion. It's why it's used buy so many world touring pros, including me.

18. Tony Flow MMMM

And now I have a m87 compressor coming in. I love that my tuner uses a battery and it doesn't drain it even when left plugged in. Is the same true for EHX pedals? Because I have found the batteries in them are still good after being left plugged in.

19. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I have had hum and noise issues with daisy chaining, conveniently I can simply move the offending pedals onto a different outlet on the pp2. Not all pedals make noise, but it's nice to have a silver bullet for if they do.

20. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS Gold Supporting Member

I run 10 pedals off my Voodoo Labs PP2 even though it only has 8 9v outputs.

My Planet Waves tuner has a power in and power out for daisy chaining. I think most pedal tuners have that (Boss definitely does). Makes sense since the tuner is only engaged when the rest of the board is not in use. Turn the tuner off and it's power shifts over to the next pedal (a Pork Loin in my case). So that 9 pedals taken care of.

The Voodoo Labs also has a courtesy outlet up to a max of 200 watts ... Can easily handle a power strip with multiple adapters. A 24v adaptor drawing 300mA is only 7.2 watts. My 10th pedal goes there. I just needed an outlet extension to access it since my Voodoo is installed on a PedalTrain2 ... I'll post pics later to demonstrate the issue I had.

21. Taurusmoo

Taurusmoo

I've been using a Fueltank Chameleon to power my board for a few years to the same effect. All 9V exept Tonehammer pre at 18V, no problems at all and dead quiet.