1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How do you prevent sticky fingers?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Les Fret, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Les Fret

Les Fret

I use Pops. The wrapping that comes with it is not very handy to protect your fingers from touching the rosin. I have tried putting some aluminum foil under the rosin and even some sports tape at the side of the rosin. But that was not a big success either.

Maybe some of you have a good solution to prevent sticky rosin fingers?
  2. Badener

Badener

Hi!

I never had this problem with Pops. But I always remove only a little of the wrapping (1/4", 6 mm) from the top of the rosin an keep the box always in an upright postition.

Thomas
  3. Les Fret

Les Fret

I always completely remove the wrapping of the Pops but then the rosin is sticky and gets on my fingers. Sometimes I see violin players store their rosin in some piece of cloth. Maybe that's a good solution? Not sure what fabric can be used for that so that it is not sticking to the rosin.
  4. Badener

Badener

Hi!

I think leather is much better than cloth for harder rosins like this one (bottom of the page): http://www.gregorianstrings.com/order.html . But remember: Pops becomes very quickly liquid with higher temperatures, so I dont't know if leather really is a good option for Pops.
  5. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

I dropped it into the corner of a sandwich bag and cut off the excess, leaving some extra to fold over the top. The plastic peels back easily. I store it in the plastic container that it came in.
  6. what the pluck

what the pluck

Whenever I rosin up I hold the rosin with a tissue over my hand. Because I jump around from pizz and arco I carry a tiny bottle of vodka and a rag to clean it off wherever is getting sticky (and a quick swig when no one is watching!)
  7. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Ding ding ding! You just solved a current issue for me!
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

How do you prevent sticky fingers?

----------------------------------------

I stay away from Rolling Stones Albums ...

Sorry I couldn't resist ...

:bag:
  9. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Oh yeah, so the other day I left some Carlsson's on the radiator and when I tried using it, I got it all over my fingers. Maybe that "Go Jo" stuff would do it? I found that nothing but abrasive action removed it.

Later that night, someone brought a dog to work. The dog went nuts for licking my fingers. I guess dogs are into rosin??
  10. Les Fret

Les Fret

Did you use Frolic Rosin?

Great tip! Tried it and it worked. Plastic doesn't seem to stick to rosin. Also tried some cloth and that doesn't stick to the rosin either so that's also good to store your rosin in.