1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How do you show the grain figure in black walnut?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TheCake1997, Dec 25, 2013.

1. TheCake1997

TheCake1997

Hey guys just had a question for you. I have a huge slab of black walnut that has been air drying for decades. Now, this piece is flat sawn, but the grain runs straight. I've tried to raise the grain using naphtha and BLO, but I can't get any figure anywhere, even on the crotch of the tree, which is where the grain should be crazy. I'd like to make a bass, but how do you bring out the grain and get the cool figures? Thanks
  2. Basshappi

Basshappi

It is not cut in such a way as to accentuate the figure. There may be some light flaming but if it isn't there there isn't anything you can do.

Once you have it planed and sanded smooth you may see some light figure. If so I have always found that oil finishes help bring it out.

I spent a number of years earning my living as a woodworker and I worked exclusivly with black walnut. It is one of my most favorite woods.
  3. KramerDon

KramerDon

I sand it to at least 320 and oil it,either lindseed or tung.If it's still roughsawn you won't really be able to tell much about how the grain will look till it's sanded
  4. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

To be honest, it may just not have it....