How do you start your "daily" bassroutine

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by salsaslas, Feb 26, 2014.

?

How do you start your "daily" bassroutine (after tuning)

1. stretching

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. fingerexercise

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. scales

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. your on standard execution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. your tuning that is a part of you exercise (getting music out of tuning).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. playing with some backtracking

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. in what ever comes to you

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  8. free improvisation

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  9. free improvisation to some backtracking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. directly go in to the exercise of the day

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  11. random

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  12. it differs

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  13. dont know

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. salsaslas

salsaslas

How do you start your "daily" bassroutine. I mean the start up, lets say for the first 3-5 minutes? Do you tune (tuner, fifths, harmonics, octaves?) or just start up?

Do you start with (mostly and after "possible" tuning):
    • stretching
    • fingerexercise
    • scales
    • your own standard execution
    • your tuning that is a part of you exercise (getting music out of tuning).
    • playing with some backtracking
    • in what ever comes to you
    • free improvisation
    • free improvisation to some backtracking
    • directly go in to the exercise of the day
    • random
    • it differs
    • dont know
  2. salsaslas

salsaslas

I normally start with tuning with a tuner (on the headstock) and then go with the exercise Im into. Probable cause I have a lot to develop in my playing before I'll be a bassplayer. But thats me!
  3. fearceol

fearceol

I tune up first, then spend about a minute or two doing gentle stretches, followed by slow chromatic scales and arpeggios played above the fifth fret. So, only after about five to seven minutes am I ready for my actual practice.
  4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I plug in and play whatever comes to my mind. A lot of the time I'll come up with a cool riff or idea that will later be used for a song.
  5. DrSteve

DrSteve

I tune up, noodle about, then hit random play on my iPhone and see why happens. If I have a song I want to work on, I'll get to that after a few random tunes.
  6. GigJones

GigJones

I set a metronome to my current BPM and start with an ascending/descending, two-octave scale, in 8th notes, triplets, and 16th
    notes followed by the 7th chord arpeggio (8th, trips, 16th) for the scale/mode I have targeted over the current two week period.
  7. stratovani

stratovani

I pick it up, strap it on, and play the first thing that comes to my head. After a while I'll put a song on my computer and play along with it. Other times I'll do some metronome work. It all depends on what I feel like doing that particular moment.
  8. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Usually I warm up by playing Donna Lee in a few different keys.
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidhiltonmusic
    www.reverbnation.com/davidhiltontrio
  9. edpal

edpal Thread enda or defenda - makes me no neva mind. Gold Supporting Member

Power on the tube amp, do some physical stretching of arms, shoulder-shrugs to loosen neck and shoulders, some hand and finger stretching. MAybe even a few toe-touchs. Tune up, then hit something fast with a good backing track to get my juices flowing.
  10. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

I start with a BIG mug of hot, black coffee.
  11. Beltdrive

Beltdrive

I practice before work, so it's a pot of coffee and about 30 minutes of Steely Dan on a loop, I find that warms me up the best.
  12. ZenG

ZenG

Limber up the fingers first......

Sometimes I don't even plug in until after I've done this for a few minutes.

usually I start with finger warmups........but if I have a riff in my head that I was thinking about the night before...I'll just start playing that.....
  13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Bong hits. :D

Just kidding. Drugs are bad, m'kay?

I voted "it differs". I might noodle a bit, or I might play some riffs (original or cover). I don't have a warmup routine. I just play lightly for a few minutes until I feel more limber.

The bass I'm playing often makes a difference. I'm more likely to play some blues or Motown riffs on my P-bass, where my 6-string Carvin might make me inclined to noodling or playing original stuff, and my 4-string Carvin just begs to be slapped.

In short, I usually just start with some "free play" to get the fingers loose before I delve into anything focused or specific.
  14. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Hey, do you wanna play "Higher Ground"? :D
    That's how I warm up.
  15. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Every time I pick up my instrument, I play the first thing that my brain makes my fingers do. I approach music from a strictly improvisational context. Bass in hand = express what my brain is wired on at that moment. Good/bad is irrelevant. Then I reflect on what has happened and seek improvement or reinforce good lines through repetition.
  16. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

In the few minutes between breakfast and going to work I am normally doing a slow blues progression. After dinner it is the method book and/or working on specific songs depending upon the day of the week.
  17. NeroJazz

NeroJazz Gold Supporting Member

I follow a home-brewed schedule consisting of warm-up using scales, working on new tunes, techniques or exercises that push me forward, I then finish off by playing tunes I already know well and just have fun.

It really works for me, and I have a structural approach which has helped me immensely in keeping focus and not just fall back on noodling.
  18. drunkenDAYlewis

drunkenDAYlewis

I'll start with left hand permutations to limber me up, then a variety of right hand things.
  19. electracoyote

electracoyote

Curious. No choice for "bottle of tequila."

I must be a hack.