1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How do YOU study your favourite players?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by scyzoryk, Jan 28, 2013.

1. scyzoryk

scyzoryk Supporting Member

I have been playing bass on and off for the past 8 years and have never really "studied" any of my favourite players. How do you go about taking a pursuit to study the style, note choices, phrasing, etc of your favourite players and incorporate it into your playing?

Do you listen to their music all the time and hope that by osmosis it reflects in your own note choices and phrasing? Do you transcribe a CD, every song, note for note, and play along? Do you transcribe only your favourite licks?

Do you take interesting passages and play them over 12 keys, or do you analyse them and milk their harmonic and rhythmic structure for making your own licks?

There is no right or wrong answer, but seeing as I found one player I really want to hone into and learn from, wondering what others have useful for committing to memory and practising.
  2. stratovani

stratovani

I can only speak for myself, but I simply try to learn their songs and copy what they're playing. After a while what I've learned gets incorporated into my own particular style of playing. ;)
  3. markbmbass

markbmbass

Agreed! Everything I learn seems to find it's way in to my playing at some point, and sometimes I realize just how much I am being influenced by a certain style or player without even trying.

Example: I have been studying "Who Did You Think I Was" w/ Pino on bass, and "The Lemon Song" w/ JPJ on bass of course.

When I have been doing blues jams to warm up at practice, some of the lines I have learned have worked their way in to what I play.

So, I would say that just study the songs you want to learn, listen away from the bass, and it will just evolve naturally.
  4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I spent a whole lot of time in my formative years transcribing and playing along with recordings. Writing everything out helped with my reading and also my understanding of what they were doing. I also immersed myself from time to time with various players, listening to a lot of their work at once.
  5. 4001

I just listen to them until I can memorize what I'm hearing. I split songs into sections and once I learn them I put it together and master the same groove, attitude, technique and sound that was applied to the original. You almost have to get into the original player's headspace.
  6. zfunkman

zfunkman

by listening to them and watching them when I can.