1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How do you use your gain?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Iheartreverb, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

So as I play through different gear quite a lot I'm always having a bit of a fight between gain and master to get the balance right. I can probably be accused of slightly under driving but usually (through something like an SVT 450 or MAG300) end up with the gain around 11oclock and the master about 3oclock.

The reason I ask how you use yours is because some people talk about running the amp flat and controlling everything via pedals like a sansamp and stuff (which I assume mean gain as well as EQ flat).

For me the biggest issue with my tone (or the tone I like) is getting the amp loud without any distortion.

So how do you set yours up? Any thoughts?

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    As recommended in the Ampeg manual, I adjust the gain until the Peak LED flickers on strong signal peaks but is not illuminated constantly while playing. I have seen the same suggestion in manuals for amplifiers made by other manufacturers as well.

3. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

It depends. If I want clean I run the master about 3/4 or better and use the gain knob for volume. If I want break up I do the opposite.

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

yup

7. inri222

inri222

+2

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With solid state or hybrid amps, I crank the gain up till I hear audible distortion, then I back off it slightly for a clean sound. With tube amps, I crank the master pretty hard and then I'll turn the gain up, at which point I'll still use the master to control volume but it's not as touchy as the gain. And I ignore all lights, because they can be deceiving.

9. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

10. Joel Schirripa

Joel Schirripa

Gain is the control of how much signal is being let into your amplifier, when there is too much gain saturation occurs which gives you the distorted tone that some players really like. When setting gain leave the master volume very low and slowly turn the gain up until you hit very mild distortion and then back it off to get a clean tone. After that you can adjust the master how you like to get what volume you need. Just keep in mind that when you change your equalization your gain is affected so you will need to adjust until you get the clean tone you want. Leaving your eq flat only includes the bass, mids and treble being kept at 12 o'clock, on other amps you might have more eq options but it doesn't include gain anyway :)

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I set gain for the amount of overdrive I want, somewhere between clean and fuzzy. I rarely use a completely clean tone.